[comp.sys.next] auto power / IB / Unix

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (03/04/91)

In article <1384@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>One of the stupidest "Mac compatibility" features.
>
>Buy a UPS for your critical machines.
>
>					-=EPS=-
   EPS:  What is so bad about auto power on after power interruption?  Thats
how ALL of our group's wrokstations and servers are set up.
   - Usually EPS's messages have a high signal to noise ratio, but that last
4-5 have been pretty nasty.  I hope EPS is in a better mood theses days. :-)

Interface Builder
    I have not been to developers camp, so please bear with me.
1.  Is there any way to delete a subclass after you create it?  I accidentally
    created a subclass, and then tried to get rid of it.  It was not
    obvious how to do this.

2.  Are there any additional palettes for the IB yet?  All I really want is
    access to the features used in other NeXT apps.  ie A scrollView that
    can scroll in either direction (Yap has one of these, but it is not part
    of the nib files)  Or something to change how a window is divided.
    librarian has one of these.  Or, a way to have a matrix that changes the
    number of elements in the matrix depending on the size of the matrix.
    (Haven't found an example of this yet.)

3.  Is the autosizing on the IB a little limited.  I would like to be able to
    have a window divided into three sections.  The two outer sections should
    be the same size, but scale as the window gets larger, and the middle
    object would always be the same size, but always in the middle.

    xxxyyzzz  resizes to  xxxxxyyzzzzz or xyyz or xxxxxxyyzzzzzz.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unix and NeXT
    Just out of curiousity, why do people buy NeXT's?  Is it because it is
a relatively cheap Mach (Unix 4.3ish) box?  I only ask this because a lot
of the traffic on comp.sys.next has to do with porting existing unix apps
over.  (I am not saying this is bad, and I do understand why this is being
done, I am just wondering how many people are buying it to uses as is, to
write NeXT apps, or to use it for unix.)

MusicSoftware -
    I have seen a number of messages asking (begging) for MusicProse to port
software for the NeXT.  Not being a musician (ask my old band instructor :-))
what type of software do the musician want?  What would the program have to be
capable of doing?

2.88 Meg disks -
    Fry's (a local store in the Bay Area) was selling the 4.0 Meg disks
(2.88 formatted) for $72.xx for a box of 10.  As was pointed out, the 1.44
work great on the NeXT.  I use them to move software back and forth to my
PC and have had no problems.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

In article <1991Mar3.231118.19024@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
	zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>   EPS:  What is so bad about auto power on after power interruption?  Thats
>how ALL of our group's wrokstations and servers are set up.

Nothing--that was my point.  This was one of my earliest
complaints about the machine, and one they STILL haven't fixed.

>    Just out of curiousity, why do people buy NeXT's?  Is it because it is
>a relatively cheap Mach (Unix 4.3ish) box?

Without that, we simply would not be able to order the machines.

Realistically, our dominant use of NeXTs is as "conventional"
UNIX timesharing boxes.  They are excellent for this purpose;
a '030 system will comfortably support 12 users, an '040
shouldn't have any problems with 32.  Once we have some solid
multiprocessor support (and appropriate NeXTbus cards), I'm
hoping NeXT can give Sequent (and DEC) serious competition.

Not that we're ignoring NeXT's other strengths--but if it were
as proprietary as the Macintoy, it wouldn't be here.  (And
nearly all the "real work" we do on Macs is done on A/UX.)

					-=EPS=-