[comp.sys.next] remote Mathematica

mccalpin@masig2.ocean.fsu.edu (John D. McCalpin) (07/07/89)

Mathematica has been much touted for its separate front-end and kernel
sections. I am looking to purchase some equipment in the near future and
would like to know if this really works between different vendors equipment.

Specifically, can I start up the Mathematica front-end on a NeXT
machine and run the kernel remotely via TCP/IP ethernet on a SGI IRIS 4D?
The 4D machines should be MANY times faster than the NeXT at running the
kernel, especially for the operations that use hardware floating-point.

Thanks for any info....
--
John D. McCalpin - mccalpin@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu - mccalpin@nu.cs.fsu.edu

gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) (03/03/91)

Just a quick RTFM (gee, if I only had one :) -type question:
How do I start Mathmatica if I am logged in from a remote terminal?
Is this possible?

Why do I ask?  GT has some NeXT's on the net, but since they're
all in non-24 hour labs, they are behind locked doors for some 10
hours a day.  I really would like to use Mathmatica for some z-transform
and other stuff.  Does it do this?  Obviously, I'm counting on having
some decent on-line manuals.
b.g.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/03/91)

In article <23257@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) writes:

   Just a quick RTFM (gee, if I only had one :) -type question:
   How do I start Mathmatica if I am logged in from a remote terminal?
   Is this possible?

   Why do I ask?  GT has some NeXT's on the net, but since they're
   all in non-24 hour labs, they are behind locked doors for some 10
   hours a day.  I really would like to use Mathmatica for some z-transform
   and other stuff.  Does it do this?  Obviously, I'm counting on having
   some decent on-line manuals.
   b.g.

From another NeXT?  Probably using -NXHost option.  From another
machine, I think just typing "math" (w/o quotes) will do the job.
There is a mathremote in /usr/bin too, but math got me into
Mathematica.

-Mike

madler@kanga.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/04/91)

From a terminal window or a remote terminal you can type "math" to get the
Mathematica kernel.  Note that this has none of the functionality of the
Notebook interface, so there is no way to access notebooks from the kernel.

As for help, it has the usual kernel help--e.g. "?Plot" or "??Plot".

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

judd@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Randall R. Judd) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar4.042847.18358@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, madler@kanga.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

> From a terminal window or a remote terminal you can type "math" to get the
> Mathematica kernel.  Note that this has none of the functionality of the
> Notebook interface, so there is no way to access notebooks from the kernel.
>
> As for help, it has the usual kernel help--e.g. "?Plot" or "??Plot".

I have noticed that "math" is no longer in the search path for version 2.0.
If you want to use this you will find it in
		     "NextApps/Mathematica.app/Kernel"
"math" is actually a little shell script, and can be copied into "/LocalApps"
to place it in you search path.  "math" is usefull if you want to access
a next remotely, or if you want to run batch files.

To access the files in Mathematica.app you can cd to it from a terminal or
you can open it from the file viewer by using "Open as Folder" in the file
menu.  There are a lot of interesting files in Mathematica.app that people
may be interested in.  For instance "psfix" in the Kernel/Utilities directory
can be used to make plot files into .eps files.  It is also a shell script.
The best way to find out about its features is to read it.

                                                              Randy