[comp.sys.next] diginity

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/02/91)

In article <05e5X2w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
>I'd like to reiterate a side of the whole MusicProse thread going on here.
>
>CODA has suspended development on the NeXT platform to concentrate on the
>IBM platform. In a very "real world" sense this is a good move. There are a
>lot of installed DOS machines and getting a return on your R&D right away is
>likely to be an easier task. A hell of a lot of users here seem to have
>taken up the cause of begging CODA and it's wayward CEO to return to the
                                        ^^^^
>NeXT. I say good ridance to them and lets move on.
                  ^^^^^^^             ^^^^

>Why did you buy a NeXT?
>
>Did you buy it becuase you wanted to be compatible with a huge installed
                ^^^^^^^
>base of users?
>
>Did you buy it because it offers you a choice of thousands of software
>packages, as near as your local major drug store/software dealer/Sears/etc?
>
>Did you buy it becuase it was one of the least expensive systems available
                ^^^^^^^
>(ignoring price/performance ratios)?
>
>No.
>
>You bought a NeXT to share in the vision of a superior computer and
>computing environment. We have all put our faith in Mr Jobs, and put our
                                                     ^^
>money behind him and those others that share the vision. We want something
>better and we are willing to go out on a limb for it. We are not prepared to
>let computing technology sit still. We want the future and we want it NOW.
>

>So why in hell's name are we begging, and I do mean begging, CODA to
>"puullleeezz" come back into the fold. One of the few nice things about this
>industry is that if someone makes a dumb move, there are often a handfull of
                                                                  ^^^^^^^^
>young hotshots out there just waiting to fill in the gap and knock the "old
>men" out of the game.
>
>I, for one, feel that if CODA is going to abandon the NeXT for the IBM
>market--a platform that is perhaps the WORST platform for creating music
>currently available--then let them go and bring me someone with the
>"vision".
>

>My diginity is fully intact, I have faith that if CODA wants to abandon us,
    ^^^^^^^^
     This was the one I couldn't resist. :-)  I just *have* to know.  Is
"diginity" a cross between "dignity" and "virginity"?  If so, then should
we congratulate you or extend our condolences to you that it is fully
intact?  :-)
     Seriously, now, if you have a NeXT, did you delete your copy of
Digital Webster?  If you're using any kind of UNIX system, do you not
have spell(1) available?
     Normally, I don't post comments on the spelling or grammar of
other people.  I gave up hope long ago that computer users would ever
become literate, although it shouldn't be *too* unreasonable to ask that
they let their *computers* help them.  *BUT*, ;-) "diginity" was just
too good to pass up. ;-)

>then someone else will be willing to beat them at their own game. Two years
>from now "Finale for Windows" might sell reasonably well for CODA, but they
>will no longer have the "hotest music software going". I'm dying to see who
                          ^^^^^^
>it is that will.
>

>I guess this is a challenge. The competition isn't looking, if you are a
>developer with an interest in the project, please pick it up and make us all
>happy and restore the pride we seem to be in danger of losing. This is a
>chance for you, mr developer without a cause, to make your mark. Kick some
                 ^^
>MIDI ass.
>

> ##########################################################################
>  asmith@questor.uucp         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC  CANADA
>                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
>                      (The last two are in no way related)
> ##########################################################################
>   "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (Evil Dead II)

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "WAR is the HEALTH of the STATE"  --Albert Jay Nock (I think:-)   *

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (03/02/91)

NO!  A SPELLING FLAME!  HIDE!

cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) (03/05/91)

>                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
>                                   Systems Programming
>                                   Northern Illinois University
>                                   DeKalb, Illinois 60115
> * Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
> * BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
> *  "WAR is the HEALTH of the STATE"  --Albert Jay Nock (I think:-)   *

A Weebstern in the NeXT!  4 juat?  I dun't nid it!  I haf nevir jad an
eror in juat I wrrite!

Ani-uay, ju kares!  I gues YOU du!

Well Scoot, yu beter nut make ani mistkes.  Reember that yu ar our
speling idol.

Richard Dib
AT&T BL

PS Haf fun corectting thiss one!