[comp.sys.next] Backup a large file to mutiple disks

jeng@ecse.rpi.edu (David Jeng) (03/05/91)

Does anyone know how to backup a large file (> capacity of
a single floppy) to mutiple floppy disks? I tried "dump" but
it only backups a whole file system.
Thanks.

-Dave

David Jeng
ECSE Department
Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.
jeng@ecse.rpi.edu

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/05/91)

In article <N*7-}WC@rpi.edu> jeng@ecse.rpi.edu (David Jeng) writes:
>Does anyone know how to backup a large file (> capacity of
>a single floppy) to mutiple floppy disks? I tried "dump" but
>it only backups a whole file system.

     Get GNU tar from uunet.uu.net.  It's in gnu/tar-1.09.tar.Z.
While you're there, take a gander at some of the other goodies in
the gnu directory.

>Thanks.
>
>-Dave

>David Jeng
>ECSE Department
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.
>jeng@ecse.rpi.edu

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "I, however, place economy among the first and most important     *
*  of republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the     *
*  dangers to be feared."  --Thomas Jefferson                        *