[comp.sys.next] NeXT application philosophy

jashley@loanshark.cs.indiana.edu (J. Michael Ashley) (03/05/91)

One of the articles in NeXTWorld brought up the point that a multitasking
environment like Unix favors small, specialized applications that the
user can piece together exactly how he or she wants them.  That seems
like a pretty reasonable opinion.

My question is, does NeXT stress this at the Developer's Conference?
And while I'm thinking about it, what exactly *is* the offical
philosophy?

Mike
jashley@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

news@NeXT.COM (news) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.111729.16468@news.cs.indiana.edu>
jashley@loanshark.cs.indiana.edu (J. Michael Ashley) writes:

> One of the articles in NeXTWorld brought up the point that a multitasking
> environment like Unix favors small, specialized applications that the
> user can piece together exactly how he or she wants them.  That seems
> like a pretty reasonable opinion.
>
> Does NeXT stress this at the Developer's Conference?

Yes.  In a multitasking environment that also allows applications work in
harmony with each other, users like to have many applications running at the
same time.  We encourage developers to remember that theirs will not be the
only application running.  We've also seen many developers write great
applications that do a few things well and leave other jobs to other
applications.

Chris MacAskill
cmac@next.com