[comp.sys.next] kermit...

madler@PIGLET.CALTECH.EDU (Mark Adler) (12/03/90)

I have been trying to post that reponse for days now, but our rn program
has a problem.  (Is there a way to post "manually"?)  Anyway, you left
out where it is (and its not obvious), the directory kermit/sw.  I have
been using 5A for some time now, and it works great.  Also, you didn't
mention that you do a "make next" to compile it, which bolstered my
confidence in that version.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

cs4ed3ap@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Tyldesly A) (01/22/91)

A kind person at Shell Oil Inc. sent me kermit-5A via E-mail. Unfortunately
in my joy at getting everything up and running correctly I deleted his mail
message and I am unable to write him directly to thank him so I will do it here.
Thanks, the kermit you sent is up and running fine. Also thanks again to
everyone who sent mail on how to get kermit and connect my PC to my slab.

Andrew

hruska@ecs.umass.edu (02/13/91)

Does anyone know where I can get a version of Kermit in UUENCODED ascii
format? I'm having difficulty connecting the NeXT to our loacl VAX and
I'm looking for another way to try?  Any help regarding it's location would be
deeply appreciated.  Or , If any of you want to be really nice, you could mail
it to me.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mark Hruska
hruska@ecs.umass.edu

madler@kanga.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/04/91)

The latest version of kermit uses control-] instead of control-\ by default
for the escape character.  I have uploaded the source and binary (compiled
for 2.0) to cs.orst.edu in the pub/next/submissions directory as:
kermit5a.165.tar.Z (source), and kermit5a.165.bin20.tar.Z (binary).
Those may move to pub/next/sources and pub/next/binaries respectively,
eventually.  This replaces kermit5a.tar.Z, the 5A(163) binary (incorrectly)
in pub/next/sources.

Note that the real place to get the source from is watsun.cc.columbia.edu
in kermit/sw.  However, you need to figure out what you need from there
for the NeXT, so I did that and packaged it in kermit5a.165.tar.Z for your
compiling pleasure ...

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

ta-aca@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) (03/04/91)

Sombody posted about the latest kermit 5a(163) being available from
watsun.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.39.2), and that the place to get the sources
is the kermit/sw directory -- and that you have to figure out what files you
need when you get it from there.  This is true, however I'ld like to add the
following info: the latest release is 5a(166); the kermit/sw directory
contains SOURCE code, and a lot of other stuff, therefore you DO have to
search for the files you need, these are cku*.[ch] ckc*.[chw] ckwart.c
ckuker.mak.  However, if you don't want to go through the trouble of
compiling the source, or if you don't have a lot of bandwidth and would
rather download the (much smaller) binary directly, you can get it from the
kermit/bin directory as the file ckuker.next.

Enjoy!
  aca

aca (squish)

In article <1991Mar4.060611.2022@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> ta-aca@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) writes:
>following info: the latest release is 5a(166); the kermit/sw directory

The latest source release is still 5A(165), not 166.

>ckuker.mak.  However, if you don't want to go through the trouble of
>compiling the source, or if you don't have a lot of bandwidth and would
>rather download the (much smaller) binary directly, you can get it from the
>kermit/bin directory as the file ckuker.next.

That binary *is* 5A(166).  However, one doesn't know whether it was
compiled under 1.0 or 2.0.  As far as bandwidth is concerned, it is
422289 bytes.  They should have stripped it, which makes it 294912
bytes.  I have compiled the 5A(165) source under 2.0 and (as noted
in a previous posting) put it at cs.orst.edu in pub/next/submissions
as kermit5a.165.bin20.tar.Z.  It was compiled under 2.0, using the
"-object" compiler option and stripping it, giving a 289364 byte
object file.  The .Z is (of course) compressed to 164976 bytes.

That binary also has one other cosmetic change: the version reads:
"NeXT Mach 2.0" instead of 1.0.  I changed this in ckuver.h (line 88).
This change is not in the source in kermit5a.165.tar.Z (same place
at cs.orst.edu mentioned above)--those files are verbatim from
watsun.cc.columbia.edu.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/05/91)

ANOTHER PUBLIC THANK YOU TO MARK ADLER FOR A KERMIT THAT WORKS
BEAUTIFULLY!

Hardy
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET