[comp.sys.next] using tip

kjell@portia.Stanford.EDU (Kjell Saeten) (03/03/91)

I am just wondering if it is possible to use tip to transfer binary-files ?
I need kermit, but I have some problems downloading it with tip.
Any suggestions ??
Thanks,
kjell

(kjell@cs.stanford.edu)

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar3.035806.28203@leland.Stanford.EDU> kjell@portia.Stanford.EDU (Kjell Saeten) writes:
   I am just wondering if it is possible to use tip to transfer binary-files ?
   I need kermit, but I have some problems downloading it with tip.

One method that is simple to use for this type of bootstrapping is to
compress the remote executable, uuencode it, then cat(1) it.  On the
local side, Select All, and copy/paste it into Edit, save it, etc, etc.
There's supposed to be a command called paste(1) that will allow
you to paste (and then redirect to a file) from the command-line,
but that command's apparently broken.  copy(1) still works, though :-).

Otherwise, you could run script(1) before tip, and then it will
automagically capture your file.  Problem there is that it will
probably capture alot of other stuff, too.

One gotcha - there is apparently a bug somewhere in Stuart which causes
it to get confused about the first couple lines of large copies.
Presumably, it's in Terminal, too, though I really can't be sure - it's
hard to get it to happen, and thus hard to find, so I don't know when
I introduced it into Stuart.  Anyhow, the moral is to check out the
first couple lines for such a problem, and possibly take a quick
glance through the file if you get errors with the resulting file
(rather than wait another 15 minutes to download that huge file
again :-).

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

gene@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Gene De Lisa) (03/04/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Mar3124014@erick.gac.edu> scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>In article <1991Mar3.035806.28203@leland.Stanford.EDU> kjell@portia.Stanford.EDU (Kjell Saeten) writes:
>   I am just wondering if it is possible to use tip to transfer binary-files ?
>   I need kermit, but I have some problems downloading it with tip.
>
>One method that is simple to use for this type of bootstrapping is to
>compress the remote executable, uuencode it, then cat(1) it.  On the
>local side, Select All, and copy/paste it into Edit, save it, etc, etc.
[...]

It might be better to simply uuencode it to a file then use tip's
tilde t command (take file).
--
more direct:

vortech!gene@Central.Sun.COM

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (03/04/91)

writes:
> There's supposed to be a command called paste(1) that will allow
> you to paste (and then redirect to a file) from the command-line,
> but that command's apparently broken.  copy(1) still works, though :-).

paste(1) works fine for me like this:

	paste > tempfile

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/05/91)

   writes:
   > There's supposed to be a command called paste(1) that will allow
   > you to paste (and then redirect to a file) from the command-line,
   > but that command's apparently broken.  copy(1) still works, though :-).

   paste(1) works fine for me like this:

Wouldn't you know it.  I have the gnu file utilities earlier in my
$PATH than the /usr/bin directory (for obvious reasons - having
GNU's cp around doesn't do a whole heckuva lot of good if you
never use it, right?)  Unhappily, one of those programs is
called paste.  Moving that file to gpaste solves my problems.
All it took was a boink to the head . . .

Sorry to detract in any way from NeXT's distribution!

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad
<I still speak for nobody>
"Tried anarchy, once.  Found it had too many constraints . . ."
"I smoke the nose Lucifer . . . Bannana, banna."

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/05/91)

A question for all you tip-sters and the author of Terminal/Stuart:
(I have had my NeXT only 3 days, so forgive my ignorance, and I come
from SysV HP-UX):
1. When using tip (or cu) ~p works fine, but ~t opens a file, but never
wites (or closes it) on the NeXT.
2. Tip works alright when I connect to suns, or other BSD machines,
but somehow manages to malfunction (no ^M, only single letters
interpreted),
when I connect to my old reliable HP-UX workstation (either directly,
or via rlogin from one of the Suns). cu works fine (modulo having to
stty -tandem > /dev/cufa to get rid of the blasted ^S/^Q handshake,
which breaks emacs).
3. Kermit does not seem to work -- is there a source for sz/rz so
I can transfer some of my fiels from the HP workstations home to the
NeXT?
Thanks for any suggestions (posting or e-mail)

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (03/05/91)

In article <HARDY.91Mar4133400@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>A question for all you tip-sters and the author of Terminal/Stuart:
>(I have had my NeXT only 3 days, so forgive my ignorance, and I come
>from SysV HP-UX):
>1. When using tip (or cu) ~p works fine, but ~t opens a file, but never
>wites (or closes it) on the NeXT.

I'm using 2.0 on an 030 cube.  Tip works okay for normal no-frills usage.
however, i see the same problem you do when trying to use ~t.  This
command worked under 1.0 on the same cube.

Perhaps this is a bug?  Anyone else seeing this behavior?

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (03/05/91)

>Tip works okay for normal no-frills usage.
>however, i see the same problem you do when trying to use ~t.

What shell are you using on the remote machine?  Does it treat
control-A in a special way?  When you use tip to ~take a file, it sends
the command

    cat file; echo ^A

to the remote machine, and then it sucks characters until it sees a control-A.
If your login shell on the remote machine does something goofy with ^A,
this will never work.

Tcsh and possibly some other shells use ^A to mean "Go to beginning of line",
thus hopelessly messing up the tip "protocol" (sic).

Try starting up a plain vanilla /bin/sh on the remote machine just
before you ~take a file and see if that fixes it.  I've seen this
particular problem happen, and using /bin/sh made it go away.

Steve
--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                    (812) 855-6984

nmk@onion.princeton.edu (Nick Katz) (03/05/91)

I just upgraded my cube to 040, and everything works fine except that the
mac plus which is connected to serial b on the cube by a
macplus-to-imagewriter II cable, and which used to converse happily as a
terminal using versaterm pro on the mac, now gets no response from the
next. I have a zoom modem on serial a on the cube, and it continues to
work fine with its cable. I even tried "testing" serial b by making it
the port the modem was connected to, and that worked. I also tried
connecting the mac to serial a, but with no success.
	I guess the new pinouts on the 040 board for serial ports
"broke" the cable I was using, but I would have expected the modem
connection to break also. Is it time to call NextConnection and get
a new cable? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with 040
breaking the connection to a terminal? Any help will be most welcome.

		Nick Katz   nmk@math.princeton.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/05/91)

You guessed right: I was using tcsh.
But thanks to the new version of kermit which a good soul (way back
up the comp.sys.next -- ) posted to the Oregon archive, my woes are
over and I don't really need tip any more.
Thanks also to mark Adler for helpful suggestions.
For anyone using kermit, here is my .kermrc file:
set line /dev/cufa
set parity none
set flow none
set modem hayes
set speed 2400
set file type binary

which turns off the blasted ^S/^Q.  Also, I made the /dev/cufa
writable by my group (Mark Adler suggested chowning kermit to uucp).
Things are alsmost normal now.

Hardy
			  -------****-------

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (03/05/91)

In article <1163@tokio.cs.utexas.edu>, garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) writes...
>In article <HARDY.91Mar4133400@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>>A question for all you tip-sters and the author of Terminal/Stuart:
>>(I have had my NeXT only 3 days, so forgive my ignorance, and I come
>>from SysV HP-UX):
>>1. When using tip (or cu) ~p works fine, but ~t opens a file, but never
>>wites (or closes it) on the NeXT.
>
>I'm using 2.0 on an 030 cube.  Tip works okay for normal no-frills usage.
>however, i see the same problem you do when trying to use ~t.  This
>command worked under 1.0 on the same cube.
>
>Perhaps this is a bug?  Anyone else seeing this behavior?

The same thing happened to me the one time I tried it while
dialed into the VAX.  Since I'm also a neophyte, I haven't tried
it a second time, yet.  This is on an '030/1.0a Cube (I'm STILL
waiting for the upgrade I ordered on Oct. 4th!)
However, it's quite possible I did something else wrong...

John

--

John Stannard
ifjrs@acad3.fai.alaska.edu		BITNET:  IFJRS@ALASKA

"God is the Answer!"   "Oh?? ... er, ... What was the Question?"

--

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/05/91)

It was Mark Adler who posted the binaries. Sorry for not remembering
last night!

Hardy

In article <6861@idunno.Princeton.EDU> nmk@onion.princeton.edu (Nick Katz) writes:

[...]

Have you tried using kermit?
Or making the serial port act as an alternate console ( get a getty?).
The latter can be done if you go into manual boot and invoke the
p (parameters) option.
Best regards (we met in Bures many years ago),

Hardy