[comp.sys.next] NeXT math bugs---whats up?

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (03/06/91)

finn@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Lee Samuel Finn)writes:

>I have compiled and (attempted) to run the Cody & Waite
>elementary functions test suite on the NeXT '040 cube.

>I compiled these puppies with both f2c/cc and
>Absoft FORTRAN, and found quite a few of them would toast my cube so bad

Hmm---sounds bad. Perhaps someone at NeXT could fill us in
on the extent of the mathematical problems, since they already
new about the tanh(x) bug. I'd like to know what functions/compilers
to avoid, and when/how a bug fix for the existing problems will
be available. Non-functioning math functions are a serious
problem on a scientific workstation!

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math