[comp.sys.next] Upgrade2.0.app -- Woes

rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) (03/05/91)

Hi

   Like everybody else we got the 2.0 upgrade and the 68040 card.
Now going by the manual we did the software upgrade (first) using the
Upgrade2.0.app. Everything goes fine till the status like appears
like this

Status:-
    copying files from /bin

At this point in time there is an error message like so:-
   Tcl error:
       Unmatched quote '=>"'.
Two boxes appear saying "more info" and "OK".

so I click the "more info" button to see what happened,
the information shown is like this:-

unmatched quote: '=>"'., while executing
"""", invoked from within
"CopyCollision "/bin/["", invoked from within
"Upgrade_copy/$UpgradeDir${COPY_EXCEPT ..."
(procedure "DoSoftwareUpgrade" line 132 .......

The machine just sits for more than 4 to 5 hours without any other
message.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joseph Rajkumar
email:- rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu

news@NeXT.COM (news) (03/06/91)

rajkumar@plains.NoDak.edu (A. Joseph Rajkumar) writes:

>    Like everybody else we got the 2.0 upgrade and the 68040 card.
> Now going by the manual we did the software upgrade (first) using the
> Upgrade2.0.app. Everything goes fine till the status like appears
> like this
>
> Status:-
>     copying files from /bin
>
> At this point in time there is an error message like so:-
>    Tcl error:
>        Unmatched quote '=>"'.
> Two boxes appear saying "more info" and "OK".

Joseph -

This bug in Upgrade2.0 surfaces when /bin/test on the system you are upgrading
has been altered or touched.  To support the Bourne shell, /bin/[ is a link to
/bin/test: when Upgrade2.0 sees that /bin/[ has been modified, it tries to
bring up an attention panel to ask you if the file should be preserved or
overwritten.  Unfortunately, it becomes confused by the metacharacter in the
file's name and an error ensues.

To fix the problem, start up Terminal _without_ quitting Upgrade2.0.  Su to
root and type "rm '/UPGRADE2.0/bin/['" (enter only the inner quotes).  Return
to Upgrade2.0, Quit, and restart it.  It should be able to pick up the upgrade
procedure from the point at which the problem occurred.

Garth
(Garth_Snyder@NeXT.com)