[comp.sys.next] Minimum memory

DWN2@psuvm.psu.edu (03/06/91)

Someone asked recently about using a cube with 4Mb of memory as a print server.
There was debate as to the speed of this type of arrangement.  If you are
running 2.0 you can boot the sytem under the ROM moniter using:
          >bsd sdmach mem=4096
This configures the machine to use only 4Mb of memory.  You can then try
some printing and see if the response is adequate.

Whether or not the system will boot and run properly with only 4Mb installed,
who knows, give it a try and let us know.

-Dave

vesper@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Vesper - RMS) (03/07/91)

In <91065.010213DWN2@psuvm.psu.edu> DWN2@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>Someone asked recently about using a cube with 4Mb of memory as a print server.
>There was debate as to the speed of this type of arrangement.  If you are
>running 2.0 you can boot the sytem under the ROM moniter using:
>          >bsd sdmach mem=4096
>This configures the machine to use only 4Mb of memory.  You can then try
>some printing and see if the response is adequate.

>Whether or not the system will boot and run properly with only 4Mb installed,
>who knows, give it a try and let us know.

Well I tried it - system locked up on the first print job.
Not sure why - couldn't get to anything at that point.
This machine is a little unstable as it is, so I think I'll
just leave it at eight 8meg and seek more memory for my other cube
elsewhere.
--
Greg Vesper (vesper@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov) 301-286-5162
Goddard Space Flight Center; Greenbelt, Maryland