[comp.sys.next] Indexing man pages with Librarian2.0

joe@mathcs.emory.edu (Joe Christy) (03/01/91)

	I've been having problems with the 2.0 Librarian, to wit:
	I want to index my local man pages which reside in a parallel
tree to the NeXT one - /LocalLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages.
The first time I did this with the Librarian it built the
index ok, but didn't seem to realize that it was dealing with troff
files, both for the purposes of extracting the first line in the
Librarian's browser and displaying the files after I click on the
document icon. Then I noticed that over in the directory
 /NextLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages/.index there were some
promising sounding files like displayCommand, ixBuildOptions and
 .roffArgs, so I copied them to my local tree's .index. Sadly,
when I tried to update the index from the Librarian I get messages
from ixError about btreeOpenFile. Even trying to build a new index
in a .index directory containing only the the ixBuildCommands file
got me nothing, but messages about ixError, btreeOpenFilesh not being
able to execute /LocalLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages. In fact,
I also fail when trying with /NextLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages
which is no big deal, since it doesn't change. The only thing that
did work for me was doing an ixBuild from the command line with the
options from ixBuildCommands, [which did allow me to avoid indexing
the cat? directories, a big win in the department of redundancy
department]. I couldn't find the syntax, or even the existence, of
the configuration files in any of the 2.0 extended online docs.
	Is this a bug or a feature?
Joe
--
Joe Christy         | joe@mathcs.emory.edu       | Time flies like an
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!joe | arrow, fruit flies

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (03/01/91)

In article <7046@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> joe@mathcs.emory.edu (Joe Christy) writes:
>	I've been having problems with the 2.0 Librarian, to wit:

[stuff deleted]

>when I tried to update the index from the Librarian I get messages
>from ixError about btreeOpenFile.

Finally someone else who is having trouble with the Digital Librarian!
I posted complaints about this a long time ago and received no response.
DL in 2.0, as far as I can tell, wont' update an index.  This is a
major pain for those of use to use DL to index and search our own
documents, to which we are constantly adding.  Rebuilding an entire
index every time one adds as little as a few pages is crazy.  But at
present this is what I must do unless I simply want to leave new
material unindexed.

I'm afraid I can offer no help in determining the nature of the
problem, or a fix.  But I _do_ wish NeXT would address this
question.  It really undermines the value of DL for day to day work.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131

mheubi@.itr.uu.ch (Heubi Matthias) (03/07/91)

I had some other problems with ixBuild/ixFind.
It fails processing (searching) accented characters!!!

>> If a system supports Umlaute then it should do that completly. <<

just my opinion.
Matthias Heubi      / NeXT / Atari ST / HP-48SX /    mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch
Matthias Heubi      / NeXT / Atari ST / HP-48SX /    mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch