[comp.sys.next] Emacs display-time

scott@sage.uchicago.edu (Scott Deerwester) (03/07/91)

For some reason /usr/lib/emacs/etc/loadst only returns the date rather
than the date and load average, as advertised.  This seems broken to
me.  Is there another version out there somewhere that works?
--
Scott Deerwester            | Internet: scott@tira.uchicago.edu  | ~{P;N,5B~}
Center for Information and  | Phone:    312-702-6948             |

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (03/07/91)

>For some reason /usr/lib/emacs/etc/loadst only returns the date rather
>than the date and load average, as advertised.  This seems broken to
>me.  Is there another version out there somewhere that works?

loadst tries to read the system load from the kernel file /vmunix. As you can
see, 2.0 machines don't *have* a /vmunix file, but you can make one by making
a a link from /odmach to /vmunix. loadst also needs to be set-uid to root to
read the kernel file (or is it set-gid to kmem?)

That last step might be a security hole; bet it will work. I'm sure someone
more knowing will post the needed protections.

	Pete

In article <1991Mar6.193241.5779@src.honeywell.com>
	pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) writes:
>                                  loadst also needs to be set-uid to root to
>read the kernel file (or is it set-gid to kmem?)

The latter.  And while you're in that directory, you might as
well restore spook.lines and yow.lines from the FSF
distribution...

					-=EPS=-