[net.auto] Battling Car Thieves.

joe@dual.UUCP (Joe Weinstein) (12/24/85)

Merry Christmas!

I would like some systematic thought on preventing fairly well
prepaired thieves from taking a car. I know that a very desirable
car will be taken if they REALLY want that car, but a consideration
of the common tactics could save your car from an expert that
wasn't prepared for special precautions.

	The areas I'm considering are:

	Make the alarm hard to disarm.

	Make the car hard to get into.

	Make the ignition hard to activate.

	Make the car physically hard to move.

	Concealing the measures taken above.

	Making the car visibly less attractive to steal, though
	no less desirable to a legal owner.

1  -	Make the alarm hard to disarm.

A friend had her *alarm* stolen from her car. No one paid attention
to the noise for the thirty seconds it took to cut the black box out
from the glove compartment.
The alarm must have no delay, it must be under a locked hood
unreachable from below, and it must have it's own power supply. Some
thieves short the battery from below at the starter motor.

2  -	Make the car hard to get into.

Is there a law against fitting additional locks in doors? Like a
deadbolt?

3  -	Make the ignition hard to activate.

I'm open to suggestions here. Something easy to operate yet hard
to circumvent.

4   -	Make the car physically hard to move.

This is an interesting area. I would probably buy one of those
double hook devices that latch onto a steering wheel spoke and
to the brake or clutch pedal. It would take oxy-acetylene to
remove it. With the steering at full lock it would take a tow
truck to move it. Some tow trucks have that small set of extra wheels
to place under unmoving rear wheels in cases where they can't get in
to disengage the transmission. What would be a good way to make a
car untowable by normal means?

5   -	Making the car visibly less attractive to steal, though
	no less desirable to a legal owner.

Here also I am open to suggestions, though I know you can get the
car serial number etched into all the windows of the car, which
makes it much less valuable to chop shops, which depend on the
unmarkedness of whole door assemblies etc. The window would have
to be replaced.

If I get any interesting responses I'll summarize.

mzal@pegasus.UUCP (Mike Zaleski) (12/27/85)

> From: joe@dual.UUCP (Joe Weinstein)
> I would probably buy one of those double hook devices that
> latch onto a steering wheel spoke and to the brake or clutch
> pedal.  It would take oxy-acetylene to remove it.

Don't bother.  Thieves just cut the steering wheel and slide
the hook off.

-- "The Model Citizen" Mike^Z
   Zaleski@Rutgers    [ allegra, ihnp4 ] pegasus!mzal