[net.followup] banned book week

pete@stc.UUCP (Peter Kendell) (09/18/85)

Xpath: stc stc-b stc-a

In article <34@druhi.UUCP> holder@druhi.UUCP (HolderML) writes:

>Can anyone post an "official" list of banned books to the net? (and reasons
>for their banning?).  It would be interesting to see.
>
>                                               Mike Holder
>                                               AT&T-IS Denver, CO
>                                               druhi!holder

Well, for a start, 'Black Beauty' (a Victorian children's story about
a horse) is banned in South Africa!!!
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	'Only too far is far enough'

elric@proper.UUCP (elric) (09/18/85)

<snack>

Well the main problem with posting the entire list is that it is about 100+
pages long.
Your local libaray or bookseller might have a copy.
  Elric

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (09/20/85)

In article <589@stc-b.stc.UUCP> pete@stc.UUCP (Peter Kendell) writes:

>Well, for a start, 'Black Beauty' (a Victorian children's story about
>a horse) is banned in South Africa!!!

It's a lie, lie, lie!  (or did you mean to add a :-) ?
I read the book a long time ago, in South Africa, and it certainly
has not been banned since then.

rlr@stcvax.UUCP (Roger Rose) (09/20/85)

>Can anyone post an "official" list of banned books to the net? (and reasons
>for their banning?).  It would be interesting to see.
>
>                                               Mike Holder

The book of lists contains a list of the most frequently banned books in
the USA.  Among them are "1984" and "The Scarlet Letter".

"The Scarlet Letter" is banned due to sexual content (and probably
offending peoples image of ministers).  Unfortunately, it was mandatory
reading at my high school.

--

Roger Rose
   UUCP:    {hao ihnp4 decvax}!stcvax!rlr

dhenson@islenet.UUCP (Donald D. Henson) (09/21/85)

. . .

> >September 16-22 is National Banned Book Week.
> >
> >. . .

Anybody interested in starting a newsgroup about banned books?

Don Henson
Infosys Consulting

In article <1644@islenet.UUCP>, dhenson@islenet.UUCP (Donald D. Henson) writes:
>. . .
>
>> >September 16-22 is National Banned Book Week.
>> >
>> >. . .
>
>Anybody interested in starting a newsgroup about banned books?
>
>Don Henson
>Infosys Consulting
Why not just move it to net.books?
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (10/02/85)

> <snack>
>
> Well the main problem with posting the entire list is that it is about 100+
> pages long.
> Your local libaray or bookseller might have a copy.
>   Elric

Unless it was banned........

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

"Out of my way, I'm a scientist!"
			- War of the Worlds