[comp.sys.next] premature quitting with control-q

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (02/25/91)

Someone posted recently about the fact that if they accidently hit
control-q while editing in an emacs buffer or something, that the
entire Terminal application quit, killing all the subprocesses.

There is one way to combat this that does have side-effects in other
applications, but it's easy to try:

In Preferences (under 2.0 only), there is an icon that looks a bit
like a menu with no text in it.  Under this preference option, you
can change command-key equivalents to menu commands.  In particular,
you can type "Quit" into the Command field and something like "Q"
(shift-q) in the Key Alternative field.  Then all your applications
will require control-Q instead of control-q to quit.  Or at least
all the applications that are launched after you change this
preference.  It might be worth it to change the preference for
Quit to something obscure, launch Terminal, then change the
Preference back (or delete it) so it doesn't affect other
applications.

Glenn
--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (03/08/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Feb24174104@calvin.tamu.edu> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu
(Charles Herrick) writes:

> Thus, there
> is no problem, since until RMS makes the NeXT the GNU-baseline, emacs
> will not "know" about the Command key.

Oh yeah?  Wanna know how many times I've hit the command key while
reaching for the alt key under emacs?  Fortunately, Stuart protects me
from command-q, and although it doesn't protect me from command-w,
Scott Hess was very understanding and will probably put protection
into the next release.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff