[comp.sys.next] NeXT answering Machine info.

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (02/28/91)

I ran across a reference to this in the NeXT users journal (I was very
impressed with NUJ!!) and thought others might find it useful.

-----------------
                                 `At The Beep'
                     A NeXT-Based Answering Machine System

    At The Beep is a NeXT-computer based telephone answering machine system.
It contains all of the features of sophisticated standalone answering machines
and adds extended features only possible with an attached computer.  At The
Beep takes full advantage of the NeXT graphical user interface and sound
features.

    Software Engineering Solutions has one current product in this line, the
Personal System, and plans to add two more in the future with a simple
software upgrade.  All three systems will use the same telephone interface
unit.
       This system is shipping now, but without the Remote Control features.
All current customers will receive a free upgrade including the Remote Control
feature when it is complete.  Pricing has been set at $695.00 for the software
and hardware package.

Demonstration System:
---------------------
    Feel free to call the demonstration answering machine system at
(512)343-2828 and leave a message, stating you name, company and preferred
form of communication: phone, postal mail address or electronic mail address.

Software Engineering Solutions,
11160 Jollyville Road, Austin, Texas 78759
(512)343-2828
mbrown@math.utexas.edu

I have no connection with SES I just heard about them and thought I
would pass the info along.

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
Quote from a west Texas farmer  "status quo is Latin for the mess we're in."

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (03/03/91)

In article <27184@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu () writes:

>                                 `At The Beep'
>                     A NeXT-Based Answering Machine System
>
>    At The Beep is a NeXT-computer based telephone answering machine system.

Oh glorious day! Finally I can have the digital answering machine
I've always wanted, without the huge RAM costs (a useful standalone
DAM would need at least $800 worth of ram, which is why you don't see them).
Way to go Software Engineering Solutions!

Its a good first step, but here's what I'd really like to see:
A full suite of neXTStep  based ``phone utilities'', integrated
into one hardware/software package:

I'd like:

(1) 9600 baud Fax
(2) 9600 baud modem
(3) digital answering machine
(4) Oh, and all black, of course!
(5) And throw in a stylish black phone, too.

(But keep it modular, so each capability can be added separately).
Also, try and keep the price around $1000 (academic, at least).

>Demonstration System:
>---------------------
>    Feel free to call the demonstration answering machine system at
>(512)343-2828 and leave a message, stating you name, company and preferred
>form of communication: phone, postal mail address or electronic mail address.
>
>Software Engineering Solutions,
>11160 Jollyville Road, Austin, Texas 78759
>(512)343-2828
>mbrown@math.utexas.edu

I gave them a call. Very nifty. You can order via email a software
demo; I'm waiting for mine now.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar3.054443.3135@math.ucla.edu>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu
(Barry Merriman) writes:
	[...]
> I'd like:
>
> (1) 9600 baud Fax
> (2) 9600 baud modem
> (3) digital answering machine
> (4) Oh, and all black, of course!
> (5) And throw in a stylish black phone, too.
	Me, too.

c.f.waltrip

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.

sahayman@porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (03/05/91)

    >I'd like:
    >
    >(1) 9600 baud Fax
    >(2) 9600 baud modem
    >(3) digital answering machine

And a "touch-tone shell" feature.  A way to "log in" to your
machine using a touch tone phone, and have the beeps you enter
on the phone be translated to ASCII, with some sort of voice reading
characters back to you.  So you could read your email, or run 'rn'
or whatever over a phone.

I think it'd be cool.

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.161518.28630@news.cs.indiana.edu> sahayman@porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:
>And a "touch-tone shell" feature.  [...]
>have the beeps you enter >on the phone be translated to ASCII

You must be kidding.  You want a machine that can I/O CD quality sound,
and you want to resort to a 12-character alphabet?  Why not just
program it for voice recognition?

Speaking of which, is there such a program available for the NeXT already
(a voice-command recognition program, that is)?  No matter how primitive,
I would like to hear about it.  If it can be done for $100 on the
Amiga, I can't imagine it would be difficult to do at least as well
on a NeXT. I have visions of computerizing my entire house...
		-- Darren

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (03/05/91)

>>And a "touch-tone shell" feature.  [...]
>>have the beeps you enter >on the phone be translated to ASCII
>
>You must be kidding.  You want a machine that can I/O CD quality sound,
>and you want to resort to a 12-character alphabet?

No, I'm not really kidding.  People have done this sort of thing
before - someone from AT&T demonstrated a Touch-Tone Shell at Usenix once.
He phoned up his workstation, and it said "Login:" and he typed
some sequence of touch-tone keys that corresponded to his userid an
password, and typed "M" "A" "I" "L" on the phone,
and started reading his mail , etc etc.  You need to set up a mapping
between the 12 touch-tone keys and ASCII, of course, in order to
be able to get to all the various characters.  But it can be done.

I don't necessarily want to be able to log in and have my mail
read to me, but if you had something that could do this, you would
have the beginnings of a voice-mail toolkit.

It would be fun to play with.  Gimme something that can turn the
touch-tone sound for '4' into a '4' coming in the serial port,
and I could have a lot of fun with that.  You could write simple
Unix shell scripts to do voice mail stuff.

suppose you had some sound files sitting around with useful phrases in them.
and a 'phonesound' command that sent a sound file out the phone line,
and a 'get-DTMF-character' command that read  a touch-tone from the
phone line and converted it to the appropriate ASCII digit.

    #!/bin/sh

    # says "Hello, welcome to Steve's voice response system"
    # and sends it down the phone line
    phonesound welcome.snd

    while :; do
	# says "What do you want to do now?"
	phonesound what-now.snd

	# read a tone from the phone line
	x=`get-DTMF-character`
	case "$x" in
	"0")
	    # says "OK, I am now rebooting the machine"
	    phonesound ok-reboot.snd
	    reboot
	    ;;
	"1")
	    # Says "What time do you want a wake-up call for"
	    phonesound what-time-wakeup.snd
	    time=`get-DTMF-string`
	    at $time phone-user-wake-him-up
	    ;;
	esac
    done

etc etc.  It'd be fun.  Who can direct me to a device that converts
DTMF to Ascii?  There must be one somewhere.

..Steve
--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                    (812) 855-6984

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar4.195639.6460@news.cs.indiana.edu>
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:

> >You must be kidding.  You want a machine that can I/O CD quality sound,
> >and you want to resort to a 12-character alphabet?

Just for all you youths out there, this is an old idea.  The
University of Michigan's MTS system had an IBM voice-response unit
about 20 years ago.  Since they didn't really have anything useful to
do with it, some clever programmer wrote a simple driver that
translated beeps into the 48 or so characters MTS needed (lowercase?
what's that?).  They used the obvious mapping -- press the key with
the letter you want, then 1, 2, or 3 to indicate which of the three.
I forget what they did about the missing letters and the special
characters, but I know they handled them because logging on required a
dollar sign.

It was fun to play with, but what a major pain to actually do
anything!  If you're really going to make a touch-tone interface to
your NeXT, I'd strongly recommend the modern style of menus, with
escapes only when absolutely necessary.  Me, I type fast, and I'll
stick with my nice black keyboard, thank you.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff