[comp.sys.next] H E L P

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/26/89)

First, I wish to say that I, too, appreciate very much
Avadie's and Ali's help. Despite all NeXT support claims,
user managers at universities tend not to have a lot of
time---even after payment of $1,000 per box (10%-15%). Without
their help on this net, I'd be pretty lost.

Second, can someone help with these questions, please?
	(1) Can I turn the printer off in 1.0? Is there
		a way to do so from a terminal?
	(2) I am hooked up to a non-NeXT network (ucla.edu).
	I am able to telnet and ftp, but all attempts at mail
	fail miserably. Even mailing something to myself using
	my internet number fails (i.e. with an address like
	ivo@128.97.74.50). The return message announces:
		Host mailhost not found for mailer ether.
	To the best of my knowledge, I have my router and
	addresses set correctly, too. What am I doing wrong?
	Where do I find what I should be doing in the docs?
	I have searched for "mailhost" in all docs, and couldn't
	find it.

Third, I want to mention that despite no such information in the
manuals, the 1.0 Terminal does a much improved VT100 emulation.
Also, I like the slick printing feature (1up, 2up...) in all applications.

Finally, let me cast my vote on netinfo. I spent today recreating
1.0, since my last version---after deletion of the /me account and
some fiddling around with hostnames and groups---would just refuse
to start up  netinfod. (nibindd was running). Nothing I could think
of would allow me to restart netinfo, so that I could see what was wrong
in the first place (no bootup error, either).

Please, NeXT, allow us a way to save the entire NetInfo environment
to one file (I've tried copying old /etc/netinfo/local.nidb, but that
completely screwed up the bootup), so that users can experiment with
changes, and, if they fail, that the old state can be restored painlessly.

Without a much more user-friendly (clearer and more warnings, not more
menu-like) interface, niload and nidump as well as the oldstyle /etc
files are of crucial importance to my mental health. Without them,
I'd be really lost. Please keep an ASCII translation system around.

/ivo welch		iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu
			phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (09/26/89)

In article <5533@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>		a way to do so from a terminal?

Try this, but don't tell the users...:-)

/usr/etc/nppower off

Check out the man page on nppower...pretty nifty utility!

>Finally, let me cast my vote on netinfo. I spent today recreating
>1.0, since my last version---after deletion of the /me account and
>some fiddling around with hostnames and groups---would just refuse
>to start up  netinfod. (nibindd was running). Nothing I could think
>of would allow me to restart netinfo, so that I could see what was wrong
>in the first place (no bootup error, either).
>
>Please, NeXT, allow us a way to save the entire NetInfo environment
>to one file (I've tried copying old /etc/netinfo/local.nidb, but that
>completely screwed up the bootup), so that users can experiment with
>changes, and, if they fail, that the old state can be restored painlessly.

Me too! I don't know of any other system where I can update and rdist
over 500 user names without regard to "where" they actually live. Now,
I didn't live with the early bugs in NFS or YP but they both survived.
I honestly believe in NetInfo (although it was a REAL struggle in 0.9),
if only for the passwd info...the domains idea is truly great and clever
and all that! Really, play with it for a long while, you'll see too, or
am I the only one with over 200 users on these things to keep track of.
I will admit it makes things easier being a NeXT-only net. I've had
many reports of NeXT nibindd and netinfod causing MULTO problems with
mixed nets. I haven't tested it under 1.0 yet...let ya know.

How I solve the problem of returning to what I had before I made my
last change is to use a tar:

cd /etc/netinfo
tar -cvf NEWNET.tar network.nidb

Then, after I make some more changes, if they don't pan out, I just rm -rf the
whole directoy and untar (tar -xvf NEWNET). Simple, if a bit crude. That's
when I'm working in "/", but the same can be done for "." or ".." (the
".." I never did figure out how to use...maybe under 1.0..:-)  )

Roger Jagoda
Cornell University
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
(607) 255-8960

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/24/90)

	Got It Fixed!!!!!!!!
	This is very strange! The reason I couldn't log out was because
	all the passwords are lost, so it thought it should be running
	as single user mode. I tried to change password using Preferences
	No luck, it said couldn't change passwd. I brought out a Shell
	window and su to root (No passwd needed!) and passwd me, passwd root.
	exit and back to "me". Now I can log out!!!!!!!!!

	But why it suddenly lost the passwords??......

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu   o Q. Who am I?
				o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD
     I am "homeless"!?		o    An Apple // guy
	(No Kidding)		o    A plane pilot (by hope)

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/24/90)

	It sitll doesn't work very well... everything is SOOOO slow
	Say, at login window, I typed "me" <rtn> "mypasswd" <rtn>, then the
	cursor freez for about 20 seconds before login swquence began...
	Then the app icons on the right appeared SLOWLY one by one...

	Any comments please email me, I am shutting down my CuBE now
	and preparing my baggagies (I am going to LA!)

	Merry X'mas and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!
	See you guys "NeXT year! :-)"

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu   o Q. Who am I?
				o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD
     I am "homeless"!?		o    An Apple // guy
	(No Kidding)		o    A plane pilot (by hope)

baack@husc9.harvard.edu (Audy Baack) (03/08/91)

	I am a convert from the Mac world who needs some help.  Does anyone
know where I can get the necessary cable to connect a Mac HD to the NeXT
SCSI2 port?  I need the this HD to have a system, and NeXT keeps telling
me to talk to where I bought the computer while they keep telling me to go
to NeXT.  What have others done??  Any sources??  Also, does anyone know
how to reset the internal HDs address from 0 to something else?

	Also, I'd like to know if there is any way I can adjust my MegaPixel
display.  Currently, the image slopes from ~.5 cm on one side of the screen
to about 1 cm on the other, yielding a rather slanted viewpoint.  Do I have
to take the monitor back for repair?  Or is there some way I can do it
myself?

	Finally, how does one go about getting modem software when one has
no SW to begin with?  I can't xmodem/kermit and get something off of a BB
without first having some software, or am I wrong??

	Any answers will be greatfully appreciated.  Thanks!

	baack@husc9.harvard.edu OR baack@harvarda.harvard.edu

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.181428.236@husc3.harvard.edu> baack@husc9.harvard.edu (Audy Baack) writes:
>	I am a convert from the Mac world who needs some help.  Does anyone
>know where I can get the necessary cable to connect a Mac HD to the NeXT
>SCSI2 port?  I need the this HD to have a system, and NeXT keeps telling
>me to talk to where I bought the computer while they keep telling me to go
>to NeXT.  What have others done??  Any sources??  Also, does anyone know
>how to reset the internal HDs address from 0 to something else?

This is answered in the Frequency Asked Questions posting.  Wish I saved a
copy of it.  You can order the cable from any Sun Microsystems dealer, as
the... microSCSI? cable that Suns use.  Or you can order one from
NeXTConnection I hear <alas, I don't know the number>.

[monitor thing deleted -- I suggest if it's that noticeable to take it in for
repair]
>	Finally, how does one go about getting modem software when one has
>no SW to begin with?  I can't xmodem/kermit and get something off of a BB
>without first having some software, or am I wrong??

You have modem software by virtue of Unix.  tip is one -- look at the man
pages for more info.  It isn't as bad as a catch-22 as you think. :-)

>	Any answers will be greatfully appreciated.  Thanks!
>	baack@husc9.harvard.edu OR baack@harvarda.harvard.edu
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
Could be you're crossing the fine line
A silly driver kind of...off the wall

You keep it cool when it's t-t-tight
...eyes wide open when you start to fall.
- The Cars

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.181428.236@husc3.harvard.edu> baack@husc9.harvard.edu (Audy Baack) writes:
>	Also, I'd like to know if there is any way I can adjust my MegaPixel
>display.  Currently, the image slopes from ~.5 cm on one side of the screen
>to about 1 cm on the other, yielding a rather slanted viewpoint.  Do I have
>to take the monitor back for repair?  Or is there some way I can do it
>myself?

	For what it's worth, this should be of general amusment to all.
	I attended FOSE '91 in DC today, and I spoke with a NeXT rep.
	He told me that he'd never seen a defective NeXT monitor, and
	that if one should have a problem, it's probably just a minor
	adjustment.

	For those of you at universities who've seen a two-year-old
	Cube with a fuzzy, wavy monitor, I don't believe it either.

>	Finally, how does one go about getting modem software when one has
>no SW to begin with?  I can't xmodem/kermit and get something off of a BB
>without first having some software, or am I wrong??

	I set up tip in 5 minutes with no trouble at all
	(and that's something for me ;-)

--
MikeC
Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland