[comp.sys.next] UNIX on-line documentation

ceblair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) (03/09/91)

   I've been able to get access to the man pages but I was wondering
if some more things were available.  I'm having trouble using the
i command in sed.  The Kernighan and Pike book says there's a sed
tutorial in volume 2B of the Unix manual, but I can't find that on-line.

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.192953.26895@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ceblair@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charles Blair) writes:

>   I've been able to get access to the man pages but I was wondering
>if some more things were available.  I'm having trouble using the
>i command in sed.  The Kernighan and Pike book says there's a sed
>tutorial in volume 2B of the Unix manual, but I can't find that on-line.

     4.3BSD came with a directory tree called /usr/doc that contained
all of the Supplementary Documents of the 4.3BSD UNIX manuals.  It
hadn't occurred to me to look and see if it came with the NeXT software,
but it probably didn't.  Take a look for it, though, in case I'm
mistaken.  (I'm at my office, so I can't look till I get home.)  In
4.3BSD the contents of the directory tree were mainly troff sources and
Makefiles to troff all of the sources.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "The good news is that Saddam Hussein will be tried for war       *
*  crimes.  The bad news is that the case will be heard by the       *
*  Senate Ethics Committee."--quoted in _The_Wall_Street_Journal_    *

In article <1991Mar9.004250.14570@mp.cs.niu.edu>
	bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>     4.3BSD came with a directory tree called /usr/doc that contained
>all of the Supplementary Documents of the 4.3BSD UNIX manuals.  It
>hadn't occurred to me to look and see if it came with the NeXT software,
>but it probably didn't.

Not since the 0.8 software release.

					-=EPS=-