[comp.sys.next] Ensemble hanging

rapa@well.sf.ca.us (Ralph A. Phraner) (02/26/91)

	Ensemble, the nice NeXT 2.0 midi/DSP demo app, seems to
hang regularly during multi-voice midi I/O or DSP synthesis on my cube.
Have any others noticed this problem or is there something wrong with
the DSP machinery on my 68040 upgrade board?

Ralph Phraner
(rapa@well.sf.ca.us)

wisdom@pico.cs.umn.edu (Scott Wisdom) (02/27/91)

In article <23324@well.sf.ca.us> rapa@well.sf.ca.us (Ralph A. Phraner) writes:

>	Ensemble, the nice NeXT 2.0 midi/DSP demo app, seems to
>hang regularly during multi-voice midi I/O or DSP synthesis on my cube.
>Have any others noticed this problem or is there something wrong with
>the DSP machinery on my 68040 upgrade board?

You are suffering from a timing bug in 2.0 (which effects only
68040 systems). This has been fixed already by NeXT, and will
probably be available as an update (2.1 perhaps?) very soon.

-Scott Wisdom
wisdom@heckle.cs.umn.edu

gene@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Gene De Lisa) (02/27/91)

Yes it craters on my slab also. (2.0)

--
more direct:

vortech!gene@Central.Sun.COM

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (03/09/91)

rapa@well.sf.ca.us (Ralph A. Phraner) writes:

> 	Ensemble, the nice NeXT 2.0 midi/DSP demo app, seems to
> hang regularly during multi-voice midi I/O or DSP synthesis on my cube.
> Have any others noticed this problem or is there something wrong with
> the DSP machinery on my 68040 upgrade board?
>

> Ralph Phraner
> (rapa@well.sf.ca.us)

Ensemble hangs quite regularly on my slab. Generally if I have two or
more filters turned on, and am playing multi-voice pieces, the pointer
just spins. The only way I've found to stop it is to kill the process.
Has anybody else found this?

-drin

Let me guess--you only have 8MB RAM, right?

					-=EPS=-