[comp.sys.next] Optical Disks-Init

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (03/07/91)

Well maybe the OD problem is clearing up-I finally received four disks
that I ordered with my cube last Oct.

One question--is there any way to quickly initialize an OD without
the "insert and wait for automount". It seems that the disk must spin
up and down a half dozen times before the system (2.0) realizes that
it can't read it and it must be initialized. Anyone else had this experience?

Once a disk is initialized I like the way 2.0 handles it (very transparent)
but I don't see provisions for mounting several disks at one time.
Is this correct or did I miss something.

Thanks,
Charlie
cwf@math.umd.edu

scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.135808.13811@wam.umd.edu> charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) writes:
   One question--is there any way to quickly initialize an OD without
   the "insert and wait for automount". It seems that the disk must spin
   up and down a half dozen times before the system (2.0) realizes that
   it can't read it and it must be initialized. Anyone else had this experience?

You should be able to do 'disk -i /dev/rod0a' (or maybe /dev/od0a) and
it should prompt you for the disk, and all.  I think.

   Once a disk is initialized I like the way 2.0 handles it (very transparent)
   but I don't see provisions for mounting several disks at one time.
   Is this correct or did I miss something.

2.0 no longer supports multiple mounted disks in the WorkspaceManager.
You can still mount multiple disks, but you have to head for Unix and
use mount to do it.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (03/10/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Mar7204012@erick.gac.edu> scott@erick.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>2.0 no longer supports multiple mounted disks in the WorkspaceManager.
>You can still mount multiple disks, but you have to head for Unix and
>use mount to do it.

Ah.  An "improvement."  I'm bothered by this because it seems like a
political-based change (deemphasize the OD) instead of a functionality
based change.  Sun (with company I deal with on my day job) is notorious
for this sort of thing, one of my major gripes with the company.  I hope
this doesn't signal a trend in NeXT (the company who won my heart and mind).

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu