[comp.sys.next] Info kindof peripheral to RISC rumors

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (03/10/91)

I just saw an announcement that Tandon has decided to do SPARC
clones.  The list of PC-related companies who've decided to do
SPARC which I know of is now : CompuAdd, DTK, Tandon.

Seriously: SunOS now comes with ~ 2.5k applications.  Life would
be easier for NeXT if they do SPARC and offer seamless of Sun
applications.  That way, the end user gets to use the pretty
frontend with NeXT-native applications and not be limited by the
lack of software.

To many professionals, there are certain applications which
make-or-break a machine.  For me, e.g., a decent stat package is
a total necessity (SAS doesn't qualify).  I really love the NeXT
with the CS part of my mind, but one needs to pay the bills.
Running SPARC-Stata would make my migration to NeXT a lot easier.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (03/10/91)

In article <30907@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

[material regarding Sparc clones and the large number of Sun applications]

>To many professionals, there are certain applications which
>make-or-break a machine.  For me, e.g., a decent stat package is
>a total necessity (SAS doesn't qualify).

[Comment re the need to pay the bills...]

>Running SPARC-Stata would make my migration to NeXT a lot easier.

Well if you are looking for a serious research oriented statistical
package you couldn't do better than to use S. I'm sitting here at
my cube running New S on the 040. It's pretty hard to beat.

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.toronto.edu

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (03/10/91)

In article <30907@usc> ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:

>Seriously: SunOS now comes with ~ 2.5k applications.  Life would
>be easier for NeXT if they do SPARC and offer seamless of Sun
>applications.

>one needs to pay the bills.

Right, which is why we don't need Sparc Apps for NeXT. I imagine
you know the price of Sparc apps---they average around $1000. One
reason I scrapped my sparc is that I couldn't afford to get decent apps
for it (we paid $1000 for mathematica; on the neXT, its free!)
(Not to mention that NeXT mathematica is much, much nicer than Sun's).

The migration was easy for me, since I never could afford many
Sparc apps anyway.

I say: lets preserve the purity of NeXT's software vision. We
need more Apps like Improv, not Sun stuff (especially at
the cost of switching to a Sparc CPU). If you really don't
want to part with those fine Sparc apps, keep your Sparc.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math