[comp.sys.next] Help: WriteNow -> Ascii

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (03/10/91)

This was probably covered before but...

How can I convert a WriteNow document to ASCII and still preserve
the tabs and spaces?  I tried selecting the entire document and then
pasting it into an Edit window.  This converts it to ASCII but removes
the tabbing.  Is there something I could do to the document while
it is in WriteNow?  Is there a filter to do this somewhere?

Thanks,
Ralph

   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/10/91)

In article <9MAR91192655@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) writes:

   This was probably covered before but...

   How can I convert a WriteNow document to ASCII and still preserve
   the tabs and spaces?  I tried selecting the entire document and then
   pasting it into an Edit window.  This converts it to ASCII but removes
   the tabbing.  Is there something I could do to the document while
   it is in WriteNow?  Is there a filter to do this somewhere?

You could try saving it as ASCII text, then using the Unix unexpand
command.

-Mike

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (03/10/91)

In article <8gdGa6t*@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes...

>In article <9MAR91192655@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) writes:
>

>   This was probably covered before but...
>
>   How can I convert a WriteNow document to ASCII and still preserve
>   the tabs and spaces?  I tried selecting the entire document and then
>   pasting it into an Edit window.  This converts it to ASCII but removes
>   the tabbing.  Is there something I could do to the document while
>   it is in WriteNow?  Is there a filter to do this somewhere?
>
>You could try saving it as ASCII text, then using the Unix unexpand
>command.
>
>-Mike

I didn't even know those options existed!  Well, the Save as Ascii with
line breaks was real close to the same.  It still dosen't preserve
all of the spacing...