[comp.sys.next] IWSCRIPT-Type Program for HP LaserJets - Lets Get It Done

spenton@ssl.berkeley.edu (Steve Penton) (03/08/91)

Would AnyOne working on an iwscript-type for the HP LaserJet
series contact me about combining forces on such a noble project.

Steve Penton
spenton@ssl.berkeley.edu
    /_____________ /|                          Steve Penton
   |_____________ |/               2150 Kittredge St., Berkeley CA,94720

araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alex Raftis) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar8.084732.12215@agate.berkeley.edu> spenton@ssl.berkeley.edu (Steve Penton) writes:

>Would AnyOne working on an iwscript-type for the HP LaserJet
>series contact me about combining forces on such a noble project.

Here's an even better idea. I've noticed that many printers handle bitmaps
in similar manners. They might change the codes to begin dumping, and they
may use seven or eight bits, but there are definite similarities. I suggest
writing an iwscript type program that uses a configuration file or another
configuration program to implement printing for all printer. Wordperfect for
PC's manage to do something similar to this, and it'd be much more useful
than thirty different projects for thirty different printers when 90% of
the code will be identical.

Any takers?

                     Internet: araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
               America Online: xela      (Real Life: Alex Raftis)

In article <27d7e458.603e@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>
	araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alex Raftis) writes:
>Here's an even better idea. I've noticed that many printers handle bitmaps
>in similar manners. They might change the codes to begin dumping, and they
>may use seven or eight bits, but there are definite similarities.

There are two problems with this: (1) it's not really true,
(2) most "dumb" printers are a lot smarter than the NeXT Laser
Printer.

(1) There's "something that works" and "something that works
really well."  While most printers have a "the next N bytes are
image data" command, if there are more sophisticated
alternatives, it often wins to use them.  I didn't implement RLE
in iwf simply because the serial port operates so much faster
than the ImageWriter II printhead can keep up.  But the hooks
were in the code.  When you get to something like an HP printer
with its area fills and whatnot, dumping straight rasters doesn't
look very attractive.
(2) When you are printing straight text (source code listings,
etc.) the printer's built-in character generation is no doubt
going to look a lot better and run a lot faster than anything
using the NextStep Window Server.  That's why iwf implements
two separate device-dependent filters in the same executable.

It is possible for a package to support "300 different
printers" but that's a *much* harder problem.

					-=EPS=-