[comp.sys.next] Using Scanned Photo in NextMail

Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com (03/09/91)

I have a bunch of scanned-in photos of people I get mail from, but when I
put them as user.tiff files in the appropriate place, all I see on mail from
user is the lower left corner of his picture because it is too big.

What is the right technique (with Icon, Scene, or some other utility) to
"shrink" a tiff file to the 64x64 pixels that would work here?  If I just
crop it to the required size, all I'll have is a piece of the face.

Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com (03/11/91)

In <2686@happym.wa.com> Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com writes:

>I have a bunch of scanned-in photos of people I get mail from, but when I
>put them as user.tiff files in the appropriate place, all I see on mail from
>user is the lower left corner of his picture because it is too big.

I have received a response (from Varun Mitroo
<mitroo@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>) that solved the problem; here it is for
other interested parties.  I know they exist, since some have inquired.

Begin forwarded message:

Use Scene.  Load in the tiff, and go to the data panel (I assume you have 2.0
software).  Click on the Image->PS button to convert it to Encapsulated
PostScript.  Now you can directly control the x and y scaling of the picture.

Say your image is 200x180.  You need to convert it to 64x64.  Change the
percent size of the image in the data panel accordingly (64/200 * 100) and
(64/180 * 100).  Note that this will change the aspect ratio of your image.
If you want to keep the aspect ratio, you may want to "grab" a square portion
of the image first.

(End of forwarded message)

I was able to accomplish the conversion pretty much as Varun Mitroo described,
except that he left the final step too vague -- clicking again on the button
that said Image->PS before but that now said PS->Image to get back to a tiff
file from eps.

I was surprised at the difference (a _big_ loss) going to 2 bits from 8 made.