[net.auto] More Honda Comments

andyc@hplsla.UUCP (andyc) (12/30/85)

># Written  9:50 pm  Dec 25, 1985 by styx!mcb in hplsla:net.auto
># ---------- "Re: Honda Information" ----------
>
>In article <34800010@hpfcmp.UUCP> jimh@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>> Any Honda experiences out there you would like to share; either good,
>> bad, or indifferent?
>
>I bought an Accord hatchback new in 1981 and it is the best car I've
>ever owned. I've put about 93,000 miles on it and the engine has never
>needed a major repair. The trans was overhauled (at 70K) and the
>clutch has needed overhaul (probably due to my driving style). These
>are the only two non-scheduled visits to the shop it has had, except
>for a front end repair when I ran over some debris.
>
>The Accord is remarkably sure-footed in wet weather, sloppy roads,
>and high winds. It's only been in the snow twice but worked out just
>fine.  I get 32+ MPG on the freeway with the 1981 engine (1751cc CVCC).
>That's with the 5-speed but no A/C.  The interior is still in good shape;
>there are no rust problems; the instruments were well designed and have
>held up. Handling is about the best you can hope for in a modestly-priced
>non-sports car. I'm sure they've improved substantially since 1981, also.
>
>Would I buy another one? You bet. Since I don't need all the space in the
>back, I'll probably get an '86 Honda Prelude, which has an upgraded
>engine and all kinds of other goodies. I'm going to keep the Accord
>around as a super-reliable second car.

I also have a 1981 Honda Accord hatchback which I bought new. It now sports
87,000 miles on the odometer and has been a remarkably reliable vehicle. I've
had all recommended maintenance performed on the car at the required intervals,
except for oil changes, which I do myself every 2,500 to 3,000 miles. Around
town and commuting to work I get about 32 mpg in warm weather; this drops to
about 27 mpg in cold weather (I make LOTS of short trips). On long trips I often
turn in 35-37 mpg. (When the car was new I logged 40 mpg several times!).  The
car recently started burning a LITTLE bit of oil when driving long distances
at high speeds. Body and interior are in great shape.

I've had two major mechanical repairs. At 43,000 miles the camshaft was
replaced because of *SEVERE* scoring. The lifters were also replaced. The repair
bill came to $450; the extended warranty I bought with the car for $225 covered
all but a $50 deductible. Reason for failure: unknown. There were no signs of
oil starvation (the camshaft bearing surfaces were perfect; the worm gear that
drives the distributor looked like new). They said maybe the camshaft heat
treatment had been improper.

Well, as you might suspect, the second major repair was at 75,000 miles for
exactly the same thing! The Honda dealer *volunteered* to pay for the repairs!!!
I started wondering if I'd slipped into the Twilight Zone. But seriously, through
that gesture, Honda has won my confidence in their product and their company.

I've had only one other mechanical repair, and this one rather minor: the
front brake rotors were turned at about 43,000 miles. This was to rectify my
complaint of front end shimmy when braking hard (going downhill only!). Since
then I've discovered that this problem rarely occurs if I torque the front
wheel nuts to 65 ft-lbs.

I will also buy another Honda - in a few of years. Right now, it is
wonderful having a reliable, economical vehicle that is PAID OFF! The only
dark cloud on the horizon is the prospect of needing a another new camshaft
at 105,000 miles or so. By then I expect a valve job will be in order, and I'll
have an entire remanufactured head put on and hope that will solve that camshaft
problem (whatever it may be) for good.

Oh, by the way - I've driven my Accord in alot of snow and ice and found that it
is much more stable and predictable than the '79 Scirroco and '76 Rabbit I owned
before.  However, traction on ice or in deep, wet snow, (especially going uphill)
is not as good by a long shot! Studded snows help alot, as do chains.

Andy (drive 'em long and hard) Cassino