[comp.sys.next] Trouble configuring NeXT Mail on a standalone cube

jashley@loanshark.cs.indiana.edu (J. Michael Ashley) (03/13/91)

I, too, have taken advantage of the Businessland firesale, and I just
got my 68030 cube running NeXTStep version 1.0a.  But I'm having trouble
getting this Mail stuff configured.  In particular, the addresses window
won't show the .tiffs I have of users.

When the addresses window pops up, I click on "Users", and I get a list
of aliases.  One of them is "Mike_Ashley".  I click on it.  Then I
get my address, "jashley".  I click on it.  No icon.  However, if I go
back to the left and click on "Login Names" and then "jashley", up
comes the icon just fine.

The /LocalLibrary/Images/People directory is apparently configured fine.
I think the trouble is that I need to "Update Picture Database", which
is something I could do with the Mail Manager if my machine was a mail
server on a Netinfo network.  But I can't do this, because Mail Manager
thinks that my machine is a client of localhost.

So here's how I set up the netinfo database:  I used the Net Manager
to disable the Netinfo network, since I'm using my Next as a
standalone system, and I added my machine (olympus) to the "machines"
property list using the Netinfo Manager.  Finally, I also added
"mailhost" to the "name" property list of olympus.

But as I said, when I run Mail Manager, it thinks olympus is a client
of the server "localhost", even though Netinfo Manager says olympus
is served by olympus.

So I'm stuck, and I've gone through the on-line manuals and Next Answers
without success.  Some documentation was included with my machine, but
the Network and System Administration booklet is mostly concerned with
setting up a real network and is not much help.

I'm about out of ideas; can someone *please* help me out.

Mike

In article <1991Mar12.131059.21412@news.cs.indiana.edu> J. Michael Ashley <jashley@loanshark.cs.indiana.edu> writes:

>I, too, have taken advantage of the Businessland firesale, and I just
>got my 68030 cube running NeXTStep version 1.0a.  But I'm having trouble
>getting this Mail stuff configured.  In particular, the addresses window
>won't show the .tiffs I have of users.

A couple people responded, and I got it straightened out.  The root of the
problem was that I trusted nidump to give me an alias file in the right
format.  nidump produces lines that look like:

	Mike_Ashley: jashley

However, the Next Mail application insists on lines that look like:

	Mike_Ashley:jashley

Yeah, going back to the documentation, you can see that there is no
space in their expamples, but it isn't strikingly clear to me.  How I
got off onto thinking it was a problem with Netinfo configuration
is a mystery to me; excuse me while I go soak my head.

Thanks!
Mike