[comp.sys.next] NeXTStep interface to McGill's Archie?

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (03/07/91)

The latest issue of NeXT on Campus---which is excellent---quotes
Peter Deutsch as saying that they are making a NeXT interface to,
Archie (the ftp server server). How is this project coming along?
Any release date in sight? I'll be glad to beta test for you :-)

If you don't know what Archie is, its a database server that allows
you to locate software stored on internet ftp archives. Do

rlogin quiche.cs.mcgill.ca -l archie

to try it out. Its great! (It needs to be on a faster machine though---a
search seems to take about 10 minutes to go through the whole database.)

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar7.011758.17135@math.ucla.edu> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>The latest issue of NeXT on Campus---which is excellent---quotes
>Peter Deutsch as saying that they are making a NeXT interface to,

     What does one have to do to get one's hands on a copy of
_NeXT_On_Campus_?  I emailed their questionnaire in and have
never heard anything from them.  I keep seeing all sorts of
postings from people who have been getting it and I'd like to
see for myself what they are typing about.
> [remainder of text deleted --SJB]
>
>--
>Barry Merriman
>UCLA Dept. of Math
>UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
>barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "I, however, place economy among the first and most important     *
*  of republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the     *
*  dangers to be feared."  --Thomas Jefferson                        *

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar7.011758.17135@math.ucla.edu> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>Its great! (It needs to be on a faster machine though---a
>search seems to take about 10 minutes to go through the whole database.)

I'm always amused when I see a comment like this.  It's much more likely
that the program needs a real search algorithm than it is that it needs
a faster machine. (Incidently, the help messages agree.)  Why do so many
software people (and hardware people, for that matter) think that faster
hardware is the best way to speed up software?       -- Darren

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

In article <1991Mar7.051108.14951@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:

>     What does one have to do to get one's hands on a copy of
>_NeXT_On_Campus_?  I emailed their questionnaire in and have

Try:

(1) looking for it online at the archives

(2) looking at your bookstore, near the NeXT display

(3) asking your campus consultant

for the quickest response. Ultimately you should get it in the mail though.
I do.

--

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar7.051108.14951@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:

]     What does one have to do to get one's hands on a copy of
]_NeXT_On_Campus_?  I emailed their questionnaire in and have
]never heard anything from them.  I keep seeing all sorts of
]postings from people who have been getting it and I'd like to
]see for myself what they are typing about.

Mine came yesterday.  Maybe yours will come today.

<> I place my faith in fools.  Self confidence, my friends
<> call it. -- Edgar Allen Poe
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar7.011758.17135@math.ucla.edu>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
> [...archie...]
> (It needs to be on a faster machine though---a search seems to take
> about 10 minutes to go through the whole database.)

I suspect you don't really have much idea how huge a database it's
searching.  I'm sure it's over 10Mb and think it's pushing 100Mb.
(Confirmation, Alan?)  And there are typically ten to fifteen of them
running at once.  Ten minutes doesn't surprise me a bit....

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

bajan@cs.mcgill.ca (Alan Emtage) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.115801.18135@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu> mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) writes:

>I suspect you don't really have much idea how huge a database it's
>searching.  I'm sure it's over 10Mb and think it's pushing 100Mb.
>(Confirmation, Alan?)  And there are typically ten to fifteen of them
>running at once.  Ten minutes doesn't surprise me a bit....

Actually the file to be searched is about 15Mb (the whole database is
about 70Mb). The new version of archie due out "any time now" does most
of its work in core as opposed to the current version which is stuck on
the disk most of the time. Consequently it is faster and should degrade
more gracefully under load since we're now using a shared memory model.
And yes, during the week we usually have between 10 - 18 archie processes
running: we are averaging over 570 logins/day. This doesn't include the
mail interface work. Quiche is a very busy machine.

I doubt at this point that a faster search algorithm would make much
difference. The only thing that would make a major difference now would
be a different database structure, which I'm looking into. If anybody
knows of a structure for storing strings in which regular expression
searches can be done more efficently than a flat file, I'd like to hear
about it.

-Alan

Alan Emtage,                    "Ashore it's wine, women and song;
McGill University,CANADA         Abord it's rum, bum and concertina"
					-19th Century British Naval Saying

INTERNET: bajan@cs.mcgill.ca    UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!musocs!bajan
	  listmaster@cs.mcgill.ca
BITNET:	  bajan@musocs.BITNET

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/14/91)

Advice to archie-seekers:
use
>archie {name-to-be-found} > /tmp/{name-to-be-found}.archie &
to run the search in the background;  continue your editing in emacs
(or whatever you're doing) till archie is finished;  then
use ange-ftp to get the files into an emacs buffer (if you have
uncompress.el and tar-mode.el loaded, you may actually look at the
file before you save it; half of mine don't get saved).

Hardy
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET