[comp.sys.next] Installing RAM

roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu (03/06/91)

When installing 4MB simms in the NeXT station, if I'm only installing
four does it matter where thay go and if so should I put them in the
bank next to the hard drive or the one next to the power supply.  Aloso,
do I need anykind of special tool to do it? I think all I need to open the
slab is a phillips head screwdriver.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Tony Roth

tony%cyrano@merk.com   or  ...!uunet!merk!cyrano!tony  preffered address.

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar5.170150.214@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:

>    When installing 4MB simms in the NeXT station, if I'm only installing
>    four does it matter where thay go and if so should I put them in the
>    bank next to the hard drive or the one next to the power supply.  Aloso,
>    do I need anykind of special tool to do it? I think all I need to open the
>    slab is a phillips head screwdriver.

I just did it (the hard way): the 4 rows go next to the power supply;
install four of the 1 MB simms in the other 4 slots (or don't pull
them) for a total of 20 MB, which works fine.
A Philips screwdriver pulls the cover of the station, but pulling out
the old simms is quite an art: one should get a special tool for them,
since you need to hook it into the two holes AND push on the snaps
which hold the simms in place. The technician at the Campus Bookstore,
and myself improvised a device, using a heavy paperclip and a tiny
screwdriver (to push back the snaps), and we finally managed to do it
by trial and error.
I would advise GETTING THE RIGHT Simm-puller before attmepting to do
this single-handedle ( or even at four hands ): is is too easy to
damage the simms.
Good luck!

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

wjs@milton.u.washington.edu (William Jon Shipley) (03/14/91)

After nearly killing my fingers (and some SIMMs) I discovered the NeXT tool
works just dandy for getting out SIMMs.  Just stick it in one of the holes,
and torque the SIMM a little ways out, then do the same on the other side.
The SIMM will now pull right out.

Unfortunately NeXTstations don't come with NeXT tools, so this does you bean
lot of good.

DISCLAIMER: I'm sure the NeXT tool wasn't intended for this, and if you follow
my advice you'll probably destroy your machine and your memory and your dog
will leave you.

-william shipley
danger seeker

t68@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Jos Vermaseren) (03/14/91)

In article <HARDY.91Mar13141032@golem.ps.uci.edu>, hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
> In article <1991Mar5.170150.214@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:
>

> >    When installing 4MB simms in the NeXT station, if I'm only installing
> >    four does it matter where thay go and if so should I put them in the
> >    bank next to the hard drive or the one next to the power supply.  Aloso,
> >    do I need anykind of special tool to do it? I think all I need to open the
> >    slab is a phillips head screwdriver.
> >
> I just did it (the hard way): the 4 rows go next to the power supply;
> install four of the 1 MB simms in the other 4 slots (or don't pull
> them) for a total of 20 MB, which works fine.

Actually I have them the other way around and it works fine too.
I took out the first 4 SIMMs (the ones closed to the hard drive) and
replaced them. Everything went fine.
Taking out the old SIMMs without a special tool was a matter of thinking.
With two flat screwdrivers (one small one and one medium sized) you come
a long way. The main point is that it needs some force to get the SIMMs
out of the slot (they are clipped in) but you do NOT want to apply force
to the main board. Hence I stuck the little screwdriver in a hole and put
the medium screwdriver on the size of the slot, below the small screwdriver.
By rotating the medium screwdriver you exert a large enough force on the
small screwdriver to have the SIMM come out on that side. Etc. I offer no
guarantee that this will work with your computer. It just worked with mine
(and my two screwdrivers).

Jos Vermaseren

PS.
The above trick was invented by Archimedes trying to lift his CRAY with his
NeXT workstation.