[comp.sys.next] Businessland Deal Screwup. LONG Beware !!!

bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) (03/06/91)

	I just bought an '030 NeXT Cube from Businessland.
However, when the Cube arrived on 2/28/91, several things were
missing.  These items include the things listed below
and the NeXT System Reference Manual (0.9).  Worst of all,
the '30 Cube fails to boot.  The screen displays a message
that says "System test failed."  I got the same message
with or without the OD.

	I manage to get into the Rom Monitor 1.0 (v41)
and it says Error code 65 and old error code 81.
I have no idea what these error codes mean, but would
like some help real quick.

	The letter below is my first letter to Norm Gilbert
at Businessland complaining on the missing parts in
my package.  I have also sent him another letter telling
him of the problems I have in booting up the Cube.

>To:73307.555@compuserve.com
>cc:
>
>-------
>Hi Norm:
>	I received my NeXT '030 Cube on 2/28/91.  Thank
>you very much.  However, several things are missing
>from the package when I compare the items listed in
>the "READ this first" manual with what  is inside the packages.
>
>	The missing or incorrect items are:
>
>	1.  a NeXT T-shirt.
>
>	2.  1.0 user manuals and references.  (The user manuals
>		for 0.9 operating system was delivered with
>		the computer instead.)
>
>	3.  NeXT stickers.
>
>	4.  a Hex wrench.
>
>I am going to go ahead and set up the computer now to see if
>it works.  I hope to hear from you soon.  I would like the
>missing parts replaced & delivered soon.
>
>	Secondly, I did not receive a bill or an invoice with the
>package showing me what I am charged for.  Please mail me
>such a statement.  It is very important for my book keeping
>and tax purposes.
>
>	My e-mail address is bmwu@athena.mit.edu
>
>Please respond to me by either telephone and/or e-mail.
>I check my e-mail every day.  I would like to get these
>problems resolved immediately and start using the computer.
>If I can't get these things resolved, I can't buy this computer.
>
>	Best regards,
>
>	Benson M. Wu
>	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

	I received the following letter from Ralph Zazula
who also bought an '030 Cube from Businessland.  He received the
complete manuals for 1.0 operating system.  He however did not
receive the hex wrench.

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1991 01:34 MST
From: Computer Addict! <ZAZULA@uazhe0.physics.Arizona.EDU>
Subject: Re: for those who are counting...
To: bmwu@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

-Date: Sat, 2 Mar 91 21:57:46 -0500
-From: bmwu@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
-To: zazula@uazhep.physics.arizona.edu
-
-----------
-Hi Ralph:
-	I just received my Cube from Businessland 2/28/91.
-I ordered one without any HD and just an OD.
-

That is the same configuration I ordered.

-	I did not receive the NeXT System Reference Manual, the
-Hex wrench, the T-shirt, and the stickers.  Also the rest of the
-manuals are for system version 0.9 only.

The manuals I got were: Users's Reference (big)
			Getting Started
			Release Notes
			Registration, Wattanty and Software License
			Network and System Administration

According to the picture on page 3 of the Registration... manual, it
looks like the only thing that I'm missing is the Hex wrench and the
stickers.  Oh well...  The hex wrench for the locking-nut on my guitar
fit perfectly.

I can't tell what version the manuals are for.  The release notes say
1.0.  I've installed NS 2.0 so the manuals do me just about no good.
I haven't gotten my 2.0 stuff from NeXT yet so I'm using the on-line
documentation.

-
-	When I tried to boot the system, I got the message
-"system test failed."  I typed esc-command-~ to get into the
-ROM monitor.  I found there were 2 error codes given 65 & 81.
Of course, I am not sure what they meant.  I was able to
-login using the single-user mode.
-

Well, I'm good friends with error 65.  Basically what it means is
like me, you got a Cube that once had a magnetic boot drive and that
the system is running the SCSI test (it may still be configured to
boot off of the HD, check Preferences->(power key)).  You can
disable the SCSI test from the ROM monitor (I think it is the 'p' command.
just do ? to get help).  I'm not sure what error 81 is...

-	I am not sure what your experience was.  But if you
-have any information, I will appreciate it very much.
-

I hope this helps.  Feel free to ask questions...(I know I did)

-	Thanks in advance.
-
-	Best regards,
-
-	Benson Wu
-	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

Ralph

P.S.  Your local campus Rep. should have some documentation that might
explain the error 81.

I received the following 2 letters from Norm Gilbert of Businessland.
In the first letter, he was quite apologetic and promises to
make sure I get a functional Cube.  However, in the second letter,
he was telling me that I did not deserve to receive THE NEXT SYSTEM
REFERENCE MANUAL, THE REST OF THE 1.0 MANUALS, THE HEX WRENCH,
THE NEXT T-SHIRT, THE NEXT STICKERS BECAUSE I AM BUYING A USED COMPUTER
AND BECAUSE THEY NEVER SAID IN THEIR ADVERTISEMENT THAT I WOULD
RECEIVE THESE THINGS.

Now I am quite upset about this.  I just logged into my account
and saw these 2 letters from him.  I think this stinks and is
false advertising.  I think Norm Gilbert & Businessland is
trying not to live up to its obligations to its customers.
Considering that most of the people who have bought the 68030 NeXT
Cube "on sale" from Businessland have received system 1.0 documentations
I belive Businessland is just trying to slime out of its obligations
to me.  Frankly, I found it inexcusable that they shipped me
a Cube that won't boot because "system test failed." considering
Norm Gilbert told me that all Cubes will be tested to be functional
prior to shipment.  I also did not receive any answers regarding
how to boot the system, what are error codes 65 & 81.  Norm Gilbert
did not refer to any technical support people at Businessland.

I want the 1.0 manuals & the hex wrench!!! I could care less
about the T-shirt, the stickers, etc.  and I want my Cube up
and running.  Through trial and error, I have managed to
get into the ROM monitor and boot off the OD.  But I still
want to get rid of the "system test failed" error message.

Practices like these are what leads Businessland to its poor
financial state.  I certainly would not recommend anyone
buying a computer or anything from such a company.  Unless
I get these things resolved quickly, I am going to tell
my credit company to without payment.

	Best regards to all,

	Benson Wu
	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

************************************
The following are the 2 letters I received from
Norm Gilbert of Businessland

Date: 04 Mar 91 07:57:57 EST
From: Norm Gilbert <73307.555@CompuServe.COM>
To: <bmwu@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: My NeXT Cube does not work

Benson:

My apologies for the problem you are having with your cube. We're finding that
many of them were left with the system trying to boot from a hard drive and yet
there was no hard drive in the cube. In other cases, there was some confusion
with the warehouse people regarding the setup of the cubes. The warehouse
people were under the impression that they only needed to test the cubes and in
some cases, if you purchased a hard drive system, you'll discover that the hard
drive has not been "built".

Have you tried to boot directly from the optical drive after going into the ROM
monitor per the procedures and changing the boot device to the OD?

If your cube still fails to operate, please call Kim at (415) 475-4488 (if you
get her voice mail, please either press #0 and ask to have her paged or leave
as detailed a message as possible on her voice mail so she can call you back)
and INSIST that she send you a replacement OVERNIGHT AIRGREIGHT. At the same
time, please ask Kim for a Return Authorization number and shipping
instructions to return your defective cube to us.

Again, my apologies for any difficulties you are having with your purchase. We
will do everything in our power to get this resolved quickly and to your
complete satisfaction.
Date: 04 Mar 91 07:57:20 EST
From: Norm Gilbert <73307.555@CompuServe.COM>
To: <bmwu@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Missing things from my NeXT computer package

Benson:

Please pardon the miscommunication, but did you realize you were purchasing a
USED computer? II'm sorry if it wasn't very clear that the items you are
requesting are not included in this package. However, the hex wrench can be
purchased at any hardware store for under $5. I'm sure you could call NEXT and
get some stickers and they'd probably sell you a T-Shirt as well. We certainly
don't have any, or I'd be happy to send one to you. We never promised any
printed documenation, only what was to be found on the OD. I certainly hope
these minor items won't prevent you from using and enjoying your new computer.

You should find a packing slip on the outside of your box. You should also be
receiving a copy of your invoice in the mail. If it doesn't arrive in a few
days, please call Kim at (415) 475-4488. Give her the information from your
packing slip (Invoice number or order number) and she'll be happpy to make a
photocopy of your invoice and mail it to you.

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar6.013252.11513@athena.mit.edu>
bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M.  Wu) writes:

[various problems with his used cube from BLand, including
 the correspondence from Norm Gilbert.]

I thought the letters Norm sent you were entirely civil.
I can understand a little heat under the collar if you're
disappointed, but it sure looks to me like your vehemence
and broadside denunciation of BLand is pretty strained.
There was a problem, Norm said he regretted it and suggested
how you might get your order filled properly.  That's not
so bad.

I'd have been sorely disappointed if my machine had not
booted properly when it arrived, too, but the explanation
Norm gave made sense and didn't seem devious.

<> If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would
<> appear to man as it is, infinite. -- William Blake
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (03/06/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Mar5215252@maraba.tamu.edu>, cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes...
>In article <5MAR91202216@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) writes:
>   The manuals are another thing.  I still can't tell what version my
>   manuals are.  The part number for my 'Users's Reference" is #N6002.
>
>   I don't know what that means.
>
>#N6002 is the NeXT part number. If you wanted to order the User's Ref,
>you could request it by referencing that number.

What I meant was, I don't know what version that means.  The question
was what version manual was one getting with the '030 cubes...

Ralph
   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (03/06/91)

Hi.  I also get the old error 81.  It hasn't affected me at all.

Like I said before, error 65 can be eliminated by removing the SCSI test
from the system startup test.  In the ROM monitor, do 'p' and answer
'no' to the SCSI test question.

The problem is exactly what Norm said namely that your cube (and mine)
once had a magnetic boot device.

I know when I first talked to Norm, he mentioned the fact that these
were used computers.  I didn't expect it to be in perfect shape, but,
I can't find a darn thing wrong with this machine.  I'm very pleased.

I wasn't too suprised to find the Hex Wrench and Stickers missing.

schwarz@erg.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Schwarz) (03/06/91)

bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) writes:

>         I just bought an '030 NeXT Cube from Businessland.
> However, when the Cube arrived on 2/28/91, several things were
> missing.  These items include the things listed below
> and the NeXT System Reference Manual (0.9).  Worst of all,
> the '30 Cube fails to boot.  The screen displays a message
> that says "System test failed."  I got the same message
> with or without the OD...
> [ rest of message deleted ]

The following is printed verbatum from the Businessland NeXT Demo Sale Flyer:
These systems are being sold as used, since they were all utilized for customer
demos, in store displays, training, etc. They may not have all the original
packaging or documentation and there may be slight cosmetic dents, scratches,
etc., but all are in full working order. Just to be sure, we're offering a
30Day warranty exchange should any item fail to perform.

The flyer clearly states that you might not receive complete documentation
and/or packaging.  The stickers, the hex wrench, and the 1.0 user manuals
and references all come under this heading.  As for the T-shirt, when you
register your machine, NeXT will send you a shirt.  In that this is used
equipment, what you are essentially paying for is a working cube; additional
items might not be included (which Norm/Businessland spell out).  Also,
your invoice should be in a small bag that is taped to the outside of either
the cube or monitor's shipping box.  Businessland here appears to be providing
what they offered in their flyer.

Your concern about not being able to boot your machine, however, is a
different matter.  Businessland offered working cubes; if you did not
receive a working cube, then Businessland would be expected to make
reasonable efforts to get you a working cube.  By providing you with
information on how to fix/return your cube, they appear to be making
such an effort.

This is not intended to be a flame.  Whenever you buy something, especially
used, you have to have a proper understanding of what is patently being
offered for purchase.  Had Businessland used language such that a reasonable
person would interpret that the machines were like new and/or came complete
as initially shipped from the manufacturer, then your comments about not
receiving what you expected as per documentation/packaging might be of merit.
Businessland however did, in fairly explicit language, state what you would
receive.  As for not receiving a working cube, Norm Gilbert's letter in
which he apologises for your difficulties and offers methods for remedying
the situation appear to be reasonable attempts to provide you with proper
consideration.

I am not affilated with Businessland.  I, as yourself, purchased a cube
via Norm.  While my machine did arrive with sealed documenation, stickers
and a hex wrench, it also came with noticeable cosmetic damage. My machine
appears to work (so far); the chipped paint is the compromise I accepted
in order to get a working cube so inexpensively.

I am also not an attorney (although about half the men in my family are :-) ),
so standard disclaimers apply.

Marc.
-=-
schwarz@cis.ohio-state.edu

petrilli@geech.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (03/06/91)

Ralph Zazlula writes:
> [...]
>I know when I first talked to Norm, he mentioned the fact that these
>were used computers.  I didn't expect it to be in perfect shape, but,
>I can't find a darn thing wrong with this machine.  I'm very pleased.

I didn't order a machine (didn't have the monet when they finally ran out)
but I did talk to Norm and he also explained that these were used (or demo)
machines that that they may not be in perfect shape (but that they did
work.)

>I wasn't too suprised to find the Hex Wrench and Stickers missing.
>The manuals are another thing.  I still can't tell what version my
>manuals are.  The part number for my 'Users's Reference" is #N6002.
>
>I don't know what that means.

When I talked to Norm he explained that I might not get a complete set
of manuals (or any at all), but since I was gonna order 2.0 when I got
that machine, I didn't worry ab[out it.  He also said that the OD wasn't
going to be an original.

My only question is: Where did the manuals and original ODs go? I mean
NeXT shipped one set of each for each machine, where did the orignals
go?

BL however did explain the facts to me, so...

--

+ Chris Petrilli
| Internet:  petrilli@fsf.ai.mit.edu
+ Insert silly disclaimer drivel here.

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (03/06/91)

[assorted tales of woe deleted]

Far be it from me to defend Businessland, but...

Before I ordered my demo cube, I read the information faxed to me.
Contained in the information they noted that they could not make certain
that all the printed documentation would be shipped with the machine and
that, if it wasn't, it could be ordered from NeXT.

As far as a Tshirt goes, NeXT will send you one when you register your
machine.

As far as the screwdriver (NeXTtool?), I didn't get one either, and I'm
in the process of contacting Norm Gilbert about getting one.  (Maybe I
shouldn't be too expectant that they'll fedex it to me.)  If they don't,
or won't, send me one, I plan to order one from NeXT.  (Documentation,
which you lack, makes note of the fact that you can buy additional
tools from NeXT, or just go to the hardware store and buy one.)

I might note that I was pleased to find that the tool was the ONLY thing
missing from my package, so I don't have as much reason to be upset.

I just wanted to point out that, in this case at least, I don't think
Businessland is TRYING to screw customers.

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

mitroo@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Varun Mitroo) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar6.022055.24285@macc.wisc.edu> anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>In article <1991Mar6.013252.11513@athena.mit.edu>
>bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M.  Wu) writes:
>
>[various problems with his used cube from BLand, including
> the correspondence from Norm Gilbert.]
>
>I thought the letters Norm sent you were entirely civil.
>I can understand a little heat under the collar if you're
>disappointed, but it sure looks to me like your vehemence
>and broadside denunciation of BLand is pretty strained.
>There was a problem, Norm said he regretted it and suggested
>how you might get your order filled properly.  That's not
>so bad.

I agree.  I bought a cube through BusinessLand last November through the
previous firesale.  The big issue with these sales is _First come First
served._  My computer was also missing a couple of things - and no stickers,
either :-(  I also couldn't get the choicest system because I was not as
quick as other people.  But hey, I'd do it again if I had to!

					Varun Mitroo
					 mitroo@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/06/91)

In article <18332@cs.utexas.edu> osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John
Howard Osborn) writes:

>As far as the screwdriver (NeXTtool?), I didn't get one either, and I'm
>in the process of contacting Norm Gilbert about getting one.  (Maybe I
>shouldn't be too expectant that they'll fedex it to me.)  If they don't,
>or won't, send me one, I plan to order one from NeXT.  (Documentation,
>which you lack, makes note of the fact that you can buy additional
>tools from NeXT, or just go to the hardware store and buy one.)

Seems to me NeXT charges $5 for the tool, which is a 3 mm
ball-end hex screwdriver.  I've never seen that in a hardware
store, but then I haven't looked for one, either. :-)

<> Is there anything safer than TV-style seriousness --
<> i.e., delivering the conventional wisdom as if it were
<> the deeply important truth? -- Pauline Kael
--

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.100333.16867@macc.wisc.edu>, anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes...
>In article <18332@cs.utexas.edu> osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John
>Howard Osborn) writes:
>
>>As far as the screwdriver (NeXTtool?), I didn't get one either, and I'm
>>in the process of contacting Norm Gilbert about getting one.  (Maybe I
>>shouldn't be too expectant that they'll fedex it to me.)  If they don't,
>>or won't, send me one, I plan to order one from NeXT.  (Documentation,
>>which you lack, makes note of the fact that you can buy additional
>>tools from NeXT, or just go to the hardware store and buy one.)
>
>Seems to me NeXT charges $5 for the tool, which is a 3 mm
>ball-end hex screwdriver.  I've never seen that in a hardware
>store, but then I haven't looked for one, either. :-)
>
><> Is there anything safer than TV-style seriousness --
><> i.e., delivering the conventional wisdom as if it were
><> the deeply important truth? -- Pauline Kael
>--
>Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
>Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson
>NeXTmail w/attachments: anderson@yak.macc.wisc.edu  Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc
>Room 3130 <> 1210 West Dayton Street / Madison WI 53706 <> Phone 608/262-5888

Go to your local music store and ask for a hex wrench that fits the
nut on a  Floyd Rose Tremolo system.  I just pulled the one off of
the back of my guitar and "whammy" it fit  :-)!

Ralph

   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) (03/07/91)

In Norms' defense, I just got my B'Land CuBE yesterday, and I am
*very* happy with it.  (I got stickers *and* the hex-tool:)
I'm afraid I can't find anything bad to say about Norm or
B'Land.  I look forward to doing business with them when my
student-pricing goes away (i.e. I graduate).
b.g.

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (03/07/91)

The hex wrench supplied by NeXT is special.  It's notched near
the end to help pull out the CPU and, very likely, third-party
expansion cards.  There's a slot shaped like an old-fashioned
keyhole and the wrench locks into place.  Once the wrench is
settled into the narrow end, you pull on the wrench rather than
pulling the expansion card--in my case, the CPU.  Very well
thought-out.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/08/91)

In article <18332@cs.utexas.edu> osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) writes:
>[assorted tales of woe deleted]
>
>Far be it from me to defend Businessland, but...
>
>Before I ordered my demo cube, I read the information faxed to me.
>Contained in the information they noted that they could not make certain
>that all the printed documentation would be shipped with the machine and
>that, if it wasn't, it could be ordered from NeXT.

That's what I was told also.

>As far as a Tshirt goes, NeXT will send you one when you register your
>machine.

Got mine last week.

>As far as the screwdriver (NeXTtool?), I didn't get one either, and I'm
>in the process of contacting Norm Gilbert about getting one.  (Maybe I
>shouldn't be too expectant that they'll fedex it to me.)  If they don't,
>or won't, send me one, I plan to order one from NeXT.  (Documentation,
>which you lack, makes note of the fact that you can buy additional
>tools from NeXT, or just go to the hardware store and buy one.)
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My 3mm hex wrench costs a whole $.53 including tax al my local ACE Hardware.
What's $.53 between friends.

>I might note that I was pleased to find that the tool was the ONLY thing
>missing from my package, so I don't have as much reason to be upset.

The only thing missing from mine was the tool also.
But if it wasn't I still wouldn't be too upset because the documentation
that comes with the machine (printed that is) is minimal anyway.  You
don't get any real tech. docs. so I've only opened the other stuff once
anyway.

>I just wanted to point out that, in this case at least, I don't think
>Businessland is TRYING to screw customers.

I don't think so either.  My optical media went south on me (ECC errors).
I called B'Land, they told me to pick up a new floptical.  When I did
they did not want the old one.  I went home initialized it, now I have
a spere for backup.

BTW - B'Land distribution center is 15min from my house.

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

ddh@ombrage.mi.org (Dave Hale) (03/09/91)

  Well, my cube arrived last Monday.  As it turns out, it wouldn't boot, the
OD just sat and spun.  I gave Norm a call and he shipped out a new disk for
me to try.  It arrived Thursday morning.  This disk also failed, so Norm has
now sent me a new drive to try.  I assume it will arrive Saturday morning.
Norm has been great in his support in these issues.  When buying a used computeryou alway face certain risks.  I think B'land and Norm (though perhaps not the
testers) have offered us a great deal.  For the amount that I have saved I'm
more than willing to put up with a few delays and inconviences.

   For those keeping track, I ordered my 030 cube from B'lands sell-off in
late January.  It was shipped Feb. 22.  I received just the computer, no
manuals or hex wrench (though I have a Torx wrench that seems to fit fine
even though it's not a hex)  I also (for some unknown reason) received a
sheet about the NeXT printer meeting FCC requirements (amusing, considering
I didn't order a printer 8)

   One small concern that I do have... Looking at the motherboard, I noticed
that there is an empty socket in the corner near the bus connector.  Am I
missing a chip (perhaps the NUBus interface chip that I have heard about?)
Does anyone who has opened up an 030 cube have this chip?

   Thanx,
   - Dave
--
Dave Hale ddh@ombrage.mi.org

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (03/10/91)

[Lots of complaining about B'land deleted]

I too think it's a Bad Thing that B'land didn't send you any manuals,
but believe me, you don't really need them.

As for the hex wrench and T-shirt:
I also bought an used B'land cube and I didn't get those items either.
The hex wrench is an ordinary 3mm ball-tipped hex wrench which can be
found in any hardware store. You could also call NeXT and buy one from
them. I guess.

I believe that NO ONE receives a T-shirt with the machine -- the tees
are sent out from NeXT when they receive your registration card.
--
Fredrik Nyman		   <ice@wang.COM> [NeXT: ice@red-zinger.wang.COM]
Global Adaptation Center   BITNET:   <ice@drycas>, <ice@searn>

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (03/14/91)

In article <91098@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <schwarz@erg.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) writes:
>
>>         I just bought an '030 NeXT Cube from Businessland.
>> However, when the Cube arrived on 2/28/91, several things were
>> missing.  These items include the things listed below
>
>The following is printed verbatum from the Businessland NeXT Demo Sale Flyer:
>These systems are being sold as used, since they were all utilized for customer
>demos, in store displays, training, etc. They may not have all the original
>packaging or documentation and there may be slight cosmetic dents, scratches,
>etc., but all are in full working order. Just to be sure, we're offering a
>30Day warranty exchange should any item fail to perform.
>
>The flyer clearly states that you might not receive complete documentation
>and/or packaging.  The stickers, the hex wrench, and the 1.0 user manuals

Unfortunately, I bought mine from the local BusinessLand for about $1000
more than the flyer offer.  It was presented to me as a demo, but
complete, including a one year warranty.  I am still trying to get the
tool, software registration cards and 1.0 printed manuals.  I figure for
$1000 I paid for them and I ought to get them!
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us