[comp.sys.next] If you're thinking of buying a subscription to NeXTWorld ...

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (02/28/91)

I bought issue #1 of NeXTworld magazine and decided to subscribe.
Called the 1-800-745-7002 number listed in the subscription ad on pg 97.

Conversation goes something like this:

Me:    I'd like a one year subscription to NeXTWorld.
Phone: And do you have a price on that?
Me:    Excuse me?
Phone: Do you have a coupon with a price on it?
Me:    No, I'm just looking at an ad in the magazine, it doesn't show the price.
Phone: The only price we know about is $29.95 a year, but if you
       have a coupon...
Me: (frantically flipping pages in the magazine, I find a subscription coupon)
       Wait! Wait! Here's a coupon, it says $23.95 a year.
Phone: OK, $23.95 it is.  We're not authorized to suggest that price but
       if you have a coupon, we take your word for it.

Something like that.
This 1-800 number sounds like it's a subscription clearing center for
a whole bunch of magazines, not just NeXTWorld.

So, if you call the number, be sure to mention the $23.95 price.  For that
matter, mention whatever price you want, it sounds like they're
prepared to believe you. :-)

Steve

fjs@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) (03/14/91)

In comp.sys.next you write:

>I bought issue #1 of NeXTworld magazine and decided to subscribe.
>Called the 1-800-745-7002 number listed in the subscription ad on pg 97.

>Conversation goes something like this:

>Me:    I'd like a one year subscription to NeXTWorld.
>Phone: And do you have a price on that?
>Me:    Excuse me?
>Phone: Do you have a coupon with a price on it?
>Me:    No, I'm just looking at an ad in the magazine, it doesn't show the price.
>Phone: The only price we know about is $29.95 a year, but if you
>       have a coupon...
>Me: (frantically flipping pages in the magazine, I find a subscription coupon)
>       Wait! Wait! Here's a coupon, it says $23.95 a year.
>Phone: OK, $23.95 it is.  We're not authorized to suggest that price but
>       if you have a coupon, we take your word for it.

>Something like that.
>This 1-800 number sounds like it's a subscription clearing center for
>a whole bunch of magazines, not just NeXTWorld.

>So, if you call the number, be sure to mention the $23.95 price.  For that
>matter, mention whatever price you want, it sounds like they're
>prepared to believe you. :-)

Now that we are on the subject. Could someone explain to me the 40% discount
claimed in NextWorld's coupons? 4.95 an issue. 6 issues a year = 29.70.
Coupon price = 23.95. Where is the 40% discount? Thanks!

					- Fernando

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (03/14/91)

fjs@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) writes:

> In comp.sys.next you write:
>

> >I bought issue #1 of NeXTworld magazine and decided to subscribe.
> >Called the 1-800-745-7002 number listed in the subscription ad on pg 97.
>
> >Conversation goes something like this:
>
> >Me:    I'd like a one year subscription to NeXTWorld.
> >Phone: And do you have a price on that?
> >Me:    Excuse me?
> >Phone: Do you have a coupon with a price on it?
> >Me:    No, I'm just looking at an ad in the magazine, it doesn't show the pr
> >Phone: The only price we know about is $29.95 a year, but if you
> >       have a coupon...
> >Me: (frantically flipping pages in the magazine, I find a subscription coupo
> >       Wait! Wait! Here's a coupon, it says $23.95 a year.
> >Phone: OK, $23.95 it is.  We're not authorized to suggest that price but
> >       if you have a coupon, we take your word for it.
>
> >Something like that.
> >This 1-800 number sounds like it's a subscription clearing center for
> >a whole bunch of magazines, not just NeXTWorld.
>
> >So, if you call the number, be sure to mention the $23.95 price.  For that
> >matter, mention whatever price you want, it sounds like they're
> >prepared to believe you. :-)
>
> Now that we are on the subject. Could someone explain to me the 40% discount
> claimed in NextWorld's coupons? 4.95 an issue. 6 issues a year = 29.70.
> Coupon price = 23.95. Where is the 40% discount? Thanks!
>
> 					- Fernando
> >Steve

Maybe consider this too:

I've now called NeXTWorld four times trying to track down my issues. I've
been told (twice) that they (Jan/Feb and March/April) were shipped
already, received one letter saying they'e been delayed four to six weeks
(also from NeXTWorld), and received THREE invoices in the mail.
Supposedly, they've now shipped Jan/Feb three times, and March/April
twice, because of my repeated calls. Well, still nothing. I know they
didn't start shipping until mid-January, but I ordered issue #1 in
November!! Still nothing - next bill that arrives, NeXTWorld will get a
rather nasty phone call and will be told EXACTLY what to dowith their
magazine. Three months, repeated phone calls, and still not ONE issue...

-drin