[comp.sys.next] Directory Direcoration

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (03/15/91)

The csh script below gives icons (.dir.tiff files) to several
directories that contain application (or vendor) specific files.
Just as the browser icon for the /NeXT/Library/Literature/Shakespeare
directory is a picture of Shakespeare instead of a generic folder,
the /NextLibrary/Bookshelves directory will show up with the same
'bshlf' icon as the *.bshlf files it contains and /NextLibrary
itself will show up with a NeXT icon.  The icons are extracted via
segedit from various applications already on the NeXT.

You'll need to be 'root' to run the script--customize as you will.
I'd be interested in hearing about other appropriate 'mappings'.

- Christopher

#! /bin/csh

set table = ( \
\
/NextApps/Librarian.app/Librarian bshlf /NextLibrary/Bookshelves \
/NextApps/FaxReader fax /NextLibrary/Fax \
\
/usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app/Workspace snd /NextLibrary/Sounds \
/usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app/Workspace font /NextLibrary/Fonts \
\
/usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app/Workspace app /NextAdmin \
/usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app/Workspace app /NextApps \
/usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app/Workspace app /NextLibrary \
/usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app/Workspace app /NextDeveloper \
\
/NextDeveloper/Demos/Ensemble midi /NextLibrary/Music/Midi \
/NextDeveloper/Demos/Ensemble ens /NextLibrary/Music/Ensemble \
/NextDeveloper/Demos/ScorePlayer score /NextLibrary/Music/Scores \
/NextDeveloper/Demos/Keyboard .keymapping /NextLibrary/Keyboards \
/NextDeveloper/Demos/Scene movie /NextLibrary/Images/Scene_movies \
\
)

set tiff = '.dir.tiff'

set source = 1; set icon = 2; set target = 3

while($#table != 0)
  if ( -r $table[$source] ) then
    if ( -d $table[$target] || -w $table[$target] ) then
      segedit $table[$source] -extract __ICON $table[$icon]
$table[$target]/$tiff
      if ( $status != 0 ) echo "${0}: Cannot extract $table[$icon]"
    else
      echo "${0}: Cannot write into directory $table[$target]"
    endif
  else
    echo "${0}: Cannot read file $table[$source]"
  endif
  shift table; shift table; shift table
end

-------

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (03/15/91)

In article <MailManager.668987237.7590.lane@ssrg-next-1>
	lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
>The csh script below gives icons (.dir.tiff files) to several
>directories that contain application (or vendor) specific files.
[deleted]
>I'd be interested in hearing about other appropriate 'mappings'.

I have put 'hfile.tiff' extracted from /NextApps/Edit into
/usr/include.
Looks neat when it comes up in DL target area.

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu