[comp.sys.next] Diagram For Students and Faculty/Staff

roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu (03/12/91)

Hello all.

Lighthouse Design is pleased to announce the availability of academic discounts
for Diagram!, an innovative presentation graphics tool for NeXT computers.
Discounts are available to students and universities through NeXTConnection
(1-800-800-NeXT):

  $399 list
  $25 for students 			(twenty-five dollars!)
  $75 for faculty/university and staff  (seventy-five dollars)

To purchase a copy of Diagram!, contact NeXTConnection at the number above.

A demo version of Diagram! is available via ftp from nova.cc.purdue.edu and
cs.orst.edu. It's in pub/next/demos/Diagram.tar.Z, and it'll blow your socks
off.

As we've stated previously, the only difference between the academic and
commercial copies is the amount of paper you'll receive: all of Diagram!'s
documentation is available on-line, though only the commercial copies ship with
paper manuals and full-size boxes. The academic versions are shipped without
manuals, and are otherwise identical to the commercial distribution.

Thank you all for your advice and patience. We're looking forward to your
reactions.

Should you have the inclination, feel free (encouraged, even) to forward this
to your friends and to the nets.

Jonathan Schwartz
Lighthouse Design, Ltd.

NeXTConnection is available at the following numbers:
Domestic:		 1-800-800-NeXT (1-800-800-6398)
International:		+1-603-446-3383

Students will be requested to fax or mail a signed statement attesting to their
status as registered, along with a copy of their student ID's, and a printed
student ID number with campus address and phone number. Faculty/staff will be
required to provide orders on official University purchase orders or
letterhead.

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.224947.265@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:

>Lighthouse Design is pleased to announce the availability of academic discounts
>for Diagram!, an innovative presentation graphics tool for NeXT computers.
>Discounts are available to students and universities through NeXTConnection
>(1-800-800-NeXT):
>
>  $399 list
>  $25 for students 			(twenty-five dollars!)
>  $75 for faculty/university and staff  (seventy-five dollars)

	A veritable bargain (this ALMOST justifies the outrageous tuitions that
are charged these days.
	However, when you send your $25 or $75 what do you get back?  An Optical
Disk (an outrageous bargain :-), a couple floppies (bummer for those of us with
stock Cubes), a personalized ftp account from which to get the program..

	A minor question to be sure, but I AM curious...

	-- C P.
	mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu

cs191057@cs.brown.edu (Heng-Yi Lin) (03/13/91)

In article <6986@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

|> Send Name, Address, Phone number (?), Student ID card picture/stuff,
|> and Mastercard/Visa etc number and they will ship it to you overnight!
|> I'm off to order my copy in a few hours!

You don't need a copy of of your ID- they only wanted my school name
and my ID number.  I phoned and faxed last Wednesday and they were out
of stock.  Was supposed to get a shipment from Lighthouse on Friday though.

--
__Heng-Yi Lin___________________________________
Brown University Class of 1992 CompSci/Economics

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (03/13/91)

In article <6986@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>In <1991Mar12.071653.7599@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
>
>>	However, when you send your $25 or $75 what do you get back?  An Optical
>>Disk (an outrageous bargain :-), a couple floppies (bummer for those of us with
>>stock Cubes), a personalized ftp account from which to get the program..
>
>It comes on floppies.  If you are a student, you can't just call and

	Ok, since it appears that the NeXT floppy drive will handle 1.44 and
2.88 MB diskettes, and it will handle NeXT and MS-DOG formats...

	What density and what format are they in?

	I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, or anything, but distribution media
and format is a significant issue for the NeXT, now.  And through wonderous
marketting and design considerations, there is NO format that EVERYONE is
GUARANTEED to be able to use!
	C'mon NeXT, didn't ANYBODY consider that people might want to run
software that didn't come INSTALLED on their machine when they bought it?

	Heck, this package (especially at this price) is really tempting (even
though I'm using my School's NeXT), but unless it comes on 1.44 Mb MS-DOG
diskettes I'm screwed!

	Ok, I'll go climb back under my small, stylishly BLACK stone now.

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar11.224947.265@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:
>Hello all.
>
>Lighthouse Design is pleased to announce the availability of academic discounts
>for Diagram!, an innovative presentation graphics tool for NeXT computers.
>Discounts are available to students and universities through NeXTConnection
>(1-800-800-NeXT):
>
>  $399 list
>  $25 for students 			(twenty-five dollars!)
>  $75 for faculty/university and staff  (seventy-five dollars)
>
>   [text deleted  --SJB]
>

>Jonathan Schwartz
>Lighthouse Design, Ltd.

>  [more text deleted  --SJB]

     While it is nice to know about a product, that posting appears to
me to be a clear-cut case of commercial advertising over the Internet.
This is, as I understand it, explicitly forbidden usage of Internet
resources.  Please refrain from further such violations of your insti-
tution's Internet agreement.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "The good news is that Saddam Hussein will be tried for war       *
*  crimes.  The bad news is that the case will be heard by the       *
*  Senate Ethics Committee."--quoted in _The_Wall_Street_Journal_    *

blenko-tom@cs.yale.edu (Tom Blenko) (03/15/91)

|	Ok, since it appears that the NeXT floppy drive will handle 1.44
|and 2.88 MB diskettes, and it will handle NeXT and MS-DOG formats...
|
|	What density and what format are they in?
|
|	Heck, this package (especially at this price) is really tempting
|(even though I'm using my School's NeXT), but unless it comes on 1.44
|Mb MS-DOG diskettes I'm screwed!

I ordered Diagram! (student version) via mail from MacConnection last
week and it arrived this week. I do not have a floppy drive (although
I guess I could read MS-DOS-formatted floppies on a Sparcstation).

The solution is... you will get an activation code with your Diagram!
disk.  You can then use this to convert the Diagram! demo, available at
your favorite ftp site, to a full-fledged version of the program (or so
it says).

	Tom