[comp.sys.next] Using a Maxtor 8380S on a NeXT?

battan@sequent.com (Jim Battan) (03/12/91)

I'm trying to get a Maxtor XT8380S Series 2 (~660MB 5.25" SCSI disk) working
on a NeXT Cube running NeXTStep 2.0 off the OD.  Wishfully, I just put the
disk in the Cube and booted up the OS.  No luck; the system doesn't see
it.  I'd guess I've got incorrect jumper settings (I bought this disk
directly from Maxtor).  Does anyone have a quick reference guide to the
correct settings for this configuration?

As usual, e-mail me your replies and I'll summarize.
Thanks in advance.

--
Jim Battan - Sequent Computer Systems
battan@sequent.com or uunet!sequent!battan

battan@sequent.com (Jim Battan) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar11.193452.13760@sequent.com> I wrote:
>I'm trying to get a Maxtor XT8380S Series 2 (~330MB 5.25" SCSI disk) working
>on a NeXT Cube running NeXTStep 2.0 off the OD.

Thanks very much to the following for replying:
    <DWN2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>
    Michael D. Callaghan <mikec@wam.umd.edu>
    cc100np@prism.gatech.edu (Nick Pope)

Nick helped me find the SCSI address jumpers (JP 3{5,6,7}) on the Maxtor,
and after setting them to address 0 (1 is the preferred address, I think)
and making sure the three inline terminators were installed on the drive,
the disk was found during boot time.

Michael mentioned that he had problems getting this configuration working
until he tried a cable from an Atari ST.  I just used the cable that came
with the 40MB accelerator drive (anyone wanna buy 3 40MB drives?).

I booted off the 2.0 OD, ran BuildDisk, and encountered no problems.
Kudos to NeXT for BuildDisk; it makes installing new drives a much
less painful process than on any other UNIX platform I've used.