[comp.sys.next] Kermit and /dev/cua problem

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) (03/13/91)

I'm halving what I think is a simple problem with Kermit.  I am trying to use
it through a Hayes modem.  After issuing "set modem hayes" I give the command:

set line /dev/cua

and Kermit responds:

/dev/cua: Permission denied
Sorry, can't open line: Permission denied

Well, not sure exactly what to do, I went to /dev/cua and chmod'ed cua so
everything was accessible.  After setting the speed, I was able to connect
to the modem, but although the send/receive lights blinked, none of the
modem commands seemed to work.

So my question is do I have to set up /dev/cua some other way (ie was chmoding
not the thing to do)?  If that was OK, anyone have any guesses as to why the
modem doesn't respond?  tip works fine so the modem and cable are working.

Set-Up: NeXTstation, 2.0 standard, 8 meg, Kermit 4E(072) Hayes Smartmodem 1200

Thanks for any help!

Jason W. Anthony         anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu      ////  /|
Computer Engineering                                       /   / |
Clarkson University, Potsdam N.Y.                       / /   /--|
____________________________________________________   ///.  /   |.

citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU (03/13/91)

try /dev/ttya - I just had the same "learners" problem minutes ago.  What a
coincidence! I get through for the first time - on my own and without help
and what is the very first unread message on comp.sys.next I read!!!

D. McCollam (citdem@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu - I think. Just learning folks.)

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar12.202351.25905@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>I'm halving what I think is a simple problem with Kermit.  I am trying to use
>it through a Hayes modem.  After issuing "set modem hayes" I give the command:
>
>set line /dev/cua
>
>and Kermit responds:
>
>/dev/cua: Permission denied
>Sorry, can't open line: Permission denied

	Do you have the kermit binary setuid root and setgid tty?  You should
	not have to do anything with the permissions of /dev/* to get it
	to work.

Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (03/16/91)

In article <009458F7.7F2E8A60@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU> citdem@UAVAX0.CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU writes:
>try /dev/ttya - I just had the same "learners" problem minutes ago.  What a
>coincidence! I get through for the first time - on my own and without help
>and what is the very first unread message on comp.sys.next I read!!!
>
>D. McCollam (citdem@uavax0.ccit.arizona.edu - I think. Just learning folks.)

	Well, without any quoted material here (f vs. F?) it is hard to
	tell what is being advised, but it is not a good idea to use
	/dev/ttya for outgoing (unless perhaps it is used when you are
	directly on the internet).  The rule is /dev/cua for outgoing
	and /dev/ttyda for incoming (though I guess there is a new
	outgoing dev for those using 2.0/040 machines.