[comp.sys.next] Digital Ears works in 2.0 already!!

clp@home.HarvardSq.COM (Charles L. Perkins) (03/17/91)

In article <17498@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher
Penrose) writes:
> I am not sure if the Digital Ears are working with 68040 2.0 NeXT's,
> however, my Ariel Microphone still works on my upgraded 68040 2.0
> NeXTcube.  The line inputs are reasonable -- I imagine that they
> are fairly equivalent to the digital ears; the microphone, however,
> is incredibly lame: its frequency response curve closely resembles
> San Francisco.  I've spent hours attempting to make filters that
> counteract the microphone coloration -- I came to the conclusion that I
> prefer a bullhorn.  Still, if the Digital Ears are not working, and
> Singular Solutions will only deliver you a 64 times oversampling coffin,
> then I would buy the Ariel Microphone.  It's $200 less than the
> digital ears, and the line inputs are satisfactory for this (me) computer
> music hoax unit.

I don't know why I have to say this again, but in case anyone missed Pascal's
 article, I have been using Digital Ears for more than a year, it works
 flawlessly in 2.0 on both a 68030 and a 68040, I've run it on all combos,
 and am quite happy with the product.

I've heard (unconfirmed rumor) that the Ariel in "about the same" quality on
 the line-ins as the RCA-line-in of the Digital Ears, though the latter's
 connectors are better for hooking straight to a stereo.

Don't forget, with Digital Ears you get SoundWorks free, which is a really
 cool sound effects, editor, zoomer, reverb, echo, pitch/amplitude adjust,
 arbitrary EQ, special effects processor.  (so there! :-)

				Anyway, I like it, and don't work for MetaR.

								Charles