[net.auto] Choke Adjustment Help Needed--- 84 Nissan PU

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (01/03/86)

I've got a 1984 Nissan Pickup with the 8-plug, four cylinder engine.  It
runs rough when cold, but smooths out when I push open the choke a little
bit.  But I can't figure out how to permanently adjust the choke.

I've found the bimetalic thingamajig that moves the choke; it's similar to
those on GM cars.  But the hold-down clamp has a single screw and two
rivets clamping it in place.  I loosen the screw and pry the clamp up as
far as I can, but the actuator won't rotate.  Is there an easy way to
adjust the choke, or do I have to drill out the rivets?  It does seem like
something the Feds would require...

MAIL replies, please.

					      Ron Wanttaja
					      (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (01/05/86)

In article <433@ssc-vax.UUCP> wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:
>I've got a 1984 Nissan Pickup with the 8-plug, four cylinder engine.  It
>runs rough when cold, but smooths out when I push open the choke a little
>bit.  But I can't figure out how to permanently adjust the choke.
>
>I've found the bimetalic thingamajig that moves the choke; it's similar to
>those on GM cars.  But the hold-down clamp has a single screw and two
>rivets clamping it in place.  I loosen the screw and pry the clamp up as
>far as I can, but the actuator won't rotate.  Is there an easy way to
>adjust the choke, or do I have to drill out the rivets?  It does seem like
>something the Feds would require...
>					      Ron Wanttaja

Sorry about replying to the net but I felt this was of general
interest.  I also had too rich of choke setting on my 1985 Ford pickup
and not being in favor of "factory trained maintenance" I decided to
find out what they do with those stupid rivets.  The authorized
factory mechanics have to drill out the rivets to adjust the carb just
like you will have to.  However instead of putting screws back in they
have to re-rivet the choke.
  So I took a Dremel with a cutting disk tool (you know the ones that
break all the time) and cut the rivets off and replaced them with
screws and nuts.  I marked the case before I started because the
spring will immediately move the setting once the rivets come out.
  I then rotated the choke to a leaner position thereby greatly
reducing the amount of polutants my tamperproof choke was causing.
(Its a good thing the EPA is protecting me from myself).

Bill Landsborough

----

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all
things, endures all things."   1 Corinthians 13:4-7