[comp.sys.next] Ariel Microphone

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) (03/15/91)

I am not sure if the Digital Ears are working with 68040 2.0 NeXT's,
however, my Ariel Microphone still works on my upgraded 68040 2.0
NeXTcube.  The line inputs are reasonable -- I imagine that they
are fairly equivalent to the digital ears; the microphone, however,
is incredibly lame: its frequency response curve closely resembles
San Francisco.  I've spent hours attempting to make filters that
counteract the microphone coloration -- I came to the conclusion that I
prefer a bullhorn.  Still, if the Digital Ears are not working, and
Singular Solutions will only deliver you a 64 times oversampling coffin,
then I would buy the Ariel Microphone.  It's $200 less than the
digital ears, and the line inputs are satisfactory for this (me) computer
music hoax unit.

Christopher Penrose
jesus!penrose

beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (James Beauchamp) (03/17/91)

cpenrose@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Christopher Penrose) writes:

>I am not sure if the Digital Ears are working with 68040 2.0 NeXT's,
>Singular Solutions will only deliver you a 64 times oversampling coffin,

This means that neither Digital Ears nor Singular Solutions can be used for
16-bit CD-quality input to the 040 NeXT?  Can someone clear this up?

Jim Beauchamp  j-beauchamp@uiuc.edu