[comp.sys.next] Major announcement from Adobe

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/13/91)

In the March 11 issue of PCweek they have a story about Adobe's new
technology called Multiple Master.  Here are some highlights from the
story:

It is aimed at extending the capabilities of postscript fonts by
allowing the user to control 1)weight 2) width 3) size 4) style of the
font.

It includes a font substitution capability that lets one font mimic
the attributes of another font.

Typefaces can be changed from light to bold, from condensed to
expanded, from block type to serif type!

Adobe plans to release the first two fonts using this technology in
the mid summer as well as updates to the adobe type manager programs
for Mac and PC.

The specification will be in the public domain.

---------------------

Any comments when/if this will be included in the NeXT OS?  Since it
appears to be an extension of ATM, and DP includes ATM, I would assume
that a release sometime in the late summer/early fall.  Maybe this
will be in 3.0.

On a different topic (but one that I would like addressed in 3.0):

Are there any plans to specify an interchange format for postscript
that is akin to PICT on the mac?  PICT allows me to create a complex
diagram, for instance a flowchart, and import that to my
wordprocessor.  (So far the next can do this) Later I can cut that
flowchart out of the document and edit it in *another* drawing
program. (TIFF is a completely different thing, being a bitmap).

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
Quote from a west Texas farmer  "status quo is Latin for the mess we're in."

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/18/91)

In article <27413@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Are there any plans to specify an interchange format for postscript
>that is akin to PICT on the mac?  PICT allows me to create a complex

The Adobe Illustrator format comes to mind. I don't know however if
that's copyrighted or what not.
Maybe they come up with something that is even better. e.g. that
handles text in a good way. It would be cool if you could print out
from a text object, get a .ps file and still be able to use the
Librarian to search for info or extract the textual info from this
file (i.e. a textobjectprintedps2rtf filter).
Hope they have a nice surprise for us...

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/18/91)

In article <68867@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>In article <27413@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>>Are there any plans to specify an interchange format for postscript
>>that is akin to PICT on the mac?  PICT allows me to create a complex
>
>The Adobe Illustrator format comes to mind. I don't know however if
>that's copyrighted or what not.
>Maybe they come up with something that is even better. e.g. that
>handles text in a good way.

The format could incorporate RTF.

This may be the best answer,  however for it to be a standard, NeXT
should bless it and say "this is it and everybody  use it."  Does
anyone know when Illustrator is due out?  One thing that Illustrator
will do is ease the transition from Mac files to NeXT.