[comp.sys.next] MaNeXTWorld Prices && a Couple of Questions

biby@seas.gwu.edu (Rich Biby) (03/16/91)

Well, I did it. I did not really want to do it, but I told a lie.
I just could not resist. Comp.sys.next has been talking about
the $24.95 price to subscribe to NextWorld. Well, I call 'em
and told 'em I had an offer in front of me for $17.95. They
said OK. I wonder what it will say on the invoice....  :-)

A question for those in the know:

Okay, I've thought about it. I had a SUN 3/60 a home. Nice, but no word
processors. I had a Macintosh at home, but no UNIX. I've had a PC
at home, but no UNIX, and no nice windowing enviroment. Sounds like
I'm a natural for a NeXT.

I want the FULL OS, and thus the $3,200 deal won't do it. Add the printer
and enough disk to make the system usable, and I figure it is $5k.
That is too much for me. (I'd almost have to go with a Mac LC. Bumber!)
Anybody know if NeXT is going to change their offer any time soon?
Should I just close my eyes and give my credit card numbers? Is it possible
to get the slab without any disk and put one in yourself? Anyone done this?

Another question -- If you got a slab, then you go the right to the
operating system? Right? So, could I get the operating system from
someone on 1/2" tape and load the sucker up over my SUN network, and not
have to bother with floppies?

I know, a lot of questions.. I get really sick when I think of the
money I spent on that 16k board for my S/100 system. Then there was that
5 MB ST506 hard disk. Let's not even talk about how much that VAX 11/750
was....

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

----
Rich Biby   Home (703) 528-8489   Work (703) 534-0034
At work: rich@comm-data.com Communications Data Services, Inc.
"I am not an idiot, but I play one on usenet!"

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (03/19/91)

biby@seas.gwu.edu (Rich Biby) writes:

>Okay, I've thought about it. I had a SUN 3/60 a home. Nice, but no word
>processors. I had a Macintosh at home, but no UNIX. I've had a PC
>at home, but no UNIX, and no nice windowing enviroment. Sounds like
>I'm a natural for a NeXT.

>I want the FULL OS, and thus the $3,200 deal won't do it. Add the printer
>and enough disk to make the system usable, and I figure it is $5k.
>That is too much for me. (I'd almost have to go with a Mac LC. Bumber!)
>Anybody know if NeXT is going to change their offer any time soon?
>Should I just close my eyes and give my credit card numbers? Is it possible
>to get the slab without any disk and put one in yourself? Anyone done this?
Get the $3,200 slab w/ 105 MB disk. Use the 105 MB disk for basic OS
and swap. Export some SUN disk to the NeXT and put the extended OS
there. No problems whatsoever.

>Another question -- If you got a slab, then you go the right to the
>operating system? Right? So, could I get the operating system from
>someone on 1/2" tape and load the sucker up over my SUN network, and not
>have to bother with floppies?
No problems at all with that.
--
Fredrik Nyman		   <ice@wang.COM> [NeXT: ice@red-zinger.wang.COM]