[comp.sys.next] GNUPLOT on NeXT - Help request

eboltz@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Scott Boltz) (03/15/91)

To anyone who has compiled gnuplot under 2.0 -
I would greatly appreciate some help doing so. I'm new to both NeXT and
Unix but I need to plot some data I've been crunching soon.

Many Thanks in advance,

Eric S. Boltz
Materials Science and Engineering
The Johns Hopkins University
(eboltz@cndenext.mrs.jhu.edu)

gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) (03/16/91)

In article <7778@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> eboltz@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Scott Boltz) writes:
>To anyone who has compiled gnuplot under 2.0 -
>I would greatly appreciate some help doing so. I'm new to both NeXT and
>Unix but I need to plot some data I've been crunching soon.

Ditto for me too--it complains about not having libplot.a.  I seem to
remember that this file (along with another) are provided by NeXT
but aren't included in the standard 1.0 OS release.  I would just
go look back through comp.sys.next posts and get the procedure for
requesting from the PoweRS that be, but the archive here dumps everything
older than 11 days.  All I think I need is info on how to get the files.
Other than that, I'm set.
b.g.

scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/16/91)

In article <24436@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) writes:
   Ditto for me too--it complains about not having libplot.a.  I seem to
   remember that this file (along with another) are provided by NeXT
   but aren't included in the standard 1.0 OS release.  I would just
   go look back through comp.sys.next posts and get the procedure for
   requesting from the PoweRS that be, but the archive here dumps everything
   older than 11 days.  All I think I need is info on how to get the files.
   Other than that, I'm set.

You can also tell GNUPlot to live without libplot.a in the Makefile.
There is a line which says something like:

LIBS = -lm -lplot

Remove the -lplot.  Another line has -DUNIXPLOT in it (I don't remember
where - I forgot to comment it rather than blowing it away), so
that should go, too.  That won't fix all of your problems, but that
was the main stuff I had to do to port an earlier GNUPlot.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) (03/16/91)

I have both gnuplot and the gnu graph stuff compiled under 2.0
The postscript stuff works. You dump to a file ending in .eps and then do a
open filename.eps .This launches scene and brings up a window with the plot
in it.
If i had online documentation for Interface Builder (anyone want to hassle
NeXT about pulling the docs for IB) i would try to put together a NeXTStep
interface.

I also have bash, the latest f2c, ispell, patch, pcal and gnu tar under 2.0
If you can wait until the week of march 25 i can put them up for ftp. If you
want them yesterday, i could drop stuff in an anonymous ftp site
somewhere (over the rainbow). Let me know.
If i could get the two s-***.h and m-***.h files for emacs from someone at
NeXT i could build emacs 18.57, if there is any interest?

    Internet:      simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu
    Othernet:      simmons@hoofers.lake.mendota
--- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
According to the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, the one thing we
 *cannot* afford to have is a sense of perspective.

madler@eeyore.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/17/91)

To compile GNUPLOT 2.02 (I got mine from duke.cs.duke.edu) on the NeXT, copy
makefile.unx to Makefile, and make the following changes:

1. lines 6, 8, 11 of Makefile: optionally change destination directories.
2. line 28 of Makefile: change "gamma" to "lgamma" (modern name on NeXT).
3. line 28 of Makefile: delete "#-gx #" (enable optimization).
4. line 28 of Makefile: add " -bsd" (strict BSD compilation).
5. line 34 of Makefile: delete "-lplot" (no plot support on NeXT).
6. line 34 of Makefile: add " -object -s" (smaller object file).
6. line 44 of Makefile: delete "-DUNIXPLOT" (no plot support on NeXT).
7. Line 102 of plot.h: change "HUGE" to "1e308" (only on version 2.0 of the
   NeXT operating system--this is fixed in 2.1).

Then do a "make install", possibly as root if installing in public
directories.

Then you can use the terminal types postscript, psbig, epsf1, and epsf2
for producing PostScript pages or Encapsulated PostScript plots.  I have
also added some types of my own by adding to the files term/post.trm and
term.c to provide for different fonts.  For example, you can add the type
epsf3 by adding:

    ,{"epsf3", "Encapsulated Postscript graphics language, Times font, 11pt",
	   PS_XMAX, PS_YMAX, PS_VCHAR2, PS_HCHAR2,
	   PS_VTIC, PS_HTIC, EPSF3_init, EPSF_reset,
	   EPSF_text, null_scale, EPSF_graphics, PS_move, PS_vector,
	   PS_linetype, PS_put_text, PS_text_angle,
	   PS_justify_text, PS_point, do_arrow}

to term.c after line 788 (which is just the definition for epsf2 with the 2's
changed to 3's and a different description), and adding:

EPSF3_init()
{
	ps_big = TRUE;
	ps_font = "Times-Roman";
}

to term/post.trm after line 131 (which is just EPSF2_init() modfied).

As a test, give the follwing commands to gnuplot:

     set terminal epsf3
     set output "sinc.eps"
     plot [-20:20] sin(x)/x
     quit

and then do "open sinc.eps" to see the plot in Preview.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) (03/19/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Mar15180145@texnext.gac.edu> scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>In article <24436@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1546c@prism.gatech.EDU (Gatliff, William A.) writes:
>
>You can also tell GNUPlot to live without libplot.a in the Makefile.
>There is a line which says something like:
>
>LIBS = -lm -lplot

<...>
Thanks guys.  Take a bow, Scott!  It works.

I'd tinker with a frontend for this puppy if someone could
point to a good book/person/man-page/ for the IB. :(  Actually,
since I still have 1.0 lying around, could someone
point me to whatever may be there?
Also, where can I find books/etc for the DSP and the sound capabilities
for the NeXT?  For example, I have been told that the LineOut jacks on
the monitor double as Line In's!  I'd like to verify that, since the
old-fashioned 'smoke-test` is *definitely* out of the question.

Any books that deal with the NeXT's sound and DSP capabilities would
be greatly appreciated.  Just point.
b.g.