[comp.sys.next] Preview / YAP / Printing / Digitial Librarian

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (03/15/91)

   I'm having a problem using Preview to display a ps file.
The ps is the output of dvi2ps which contains a MacDraw file
(And the necessary header).  The file was generated on a DEC3100.
I am able to preview this file using the program dxpsview on a
DEC3100, but Preview just prints out a blank page.
    Interestingly enough, YAP will almost print the same file.
(Yap would work, but it appears tht YAP doesn't know about pages, and
therefore overlays all of the pages at once.)
    Why is it possbile for YAP to display this file, while Preview
gets confused?

    Is there anyway to print multiple files on the NeXT?  It seems that I
have to open each file, and then do a print command.  Since some of the
documents consist of many files, I would like to just be able to select
all of the files I would like to print at one time, and have the print
command (on the workspace menu) open all of the files and issue the print
command to each file.  Same holds true for the Librarian.

Is there any way to have the Librarian go though each of the chapters of
a document in sequential order?

Thanks for any help,

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/15/91)

Have you tried transferring the dvi-file and using TeXview?
There are some differences between dvi2ps and dvips (in my case the
latter works and the former dies).
I have been printing to a  LaserjetIIP, and it seems to choke if you
feed it too much at once.
For printing multiple files use lpr from a shell.

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.054840.5542@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>    Is there anyway to print multiple files on the NeXT?  It seems that I
>have to open each file, and then do a print command.  Since some of the
>documents consist of many files, I would like to just be able to select
>all of the files I would like to print at one time, and have the print
>command (on the workspace menu) open all of the files and issue the print

If someone has the time, it should be possible to write an app that
does this. Fist open the nth file, then pump a number of events to the
app that will open up the document (NXJournaler) such that the
document is printed....

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (03/19/91)

    If someone has the time, it should be possible to write an app
    that does this. Fist open the nth file, then pump a number of
    events to the app that will open up the document (NXJournaler)
    such that the document is printed....

you might want to try 'open -p' before you go to all this effort...
--

                                             .mike.