[comp.sys.next] A few quick questions

ddh@ombrage.mi.org (Dave Hale) (03/18/91)

  Well my replacement OD finally arrived and now my NeXT is up and running.
I've spent the weekend fiddling with it and networking it to a friends Sun.
But I've come across a few questions about it:

  1) Does anyone know of a patch or a replacement for the braindead uucpd on
     1.0?  Is this problem fixed in 2.0? (uucpd will not connect a uucico
     process properly to port 540)

  2) Is there anyway to autolaunch mail when you login, but have it remain
     hidden?  Also is there anyway to have it prefix lines from included
     messages for replies. (e.g. put a '>' in front of each line)

  3) Is there any program out there to change Sun sound files to NeXT .snd
     files?

  4) Does anyone have any technical data on the DSP chip?  I'm interested in
     trying to build my own input device for recording sound.

  Thanks in advance,
  - Dave
--
Dave Hale ddh@orage.mi.org - Can alse accept NeXT mail at this address.
          ddh@ombrage.mi.org - Regular mail only, please.

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (03/19/91)

ddh@ombrage.mi.org (Dave Hale) writes:

>   Well my replacement OD finally arrived and now my NeXT is up and running.
> I've spent the weekend fiddling with it and networking it to a friends Sun.
> But I've come across a few questions about it:
>
>   1) Does anyone know of a patch or a replacement for the braindead uucpd on
>      1.0?  Is this problem fixed in 2.0? (uucpd will not connect a uucico
>      process properly to port 540)

uucp seems to connect ok under 2.0 (so far). As far as a patch goes,
sorry, haven't heard anything.

>   2) Is there anyway to autolaunch mail when you login, but have it remain
>      hidden?  Also is there anyway to have it prefix lines from included
>      messages for replies. (e.g. put a '>' in front of each line)

I don't know about 1.0, but under 2.0 if you go to the mail preferences,
you can set the "hide on auto-launch" option.

>   3) Is there any program out there to change Sun sound files to NeXT .snd
>      files?

Supposedly, sun sounds are portable to the NeXT. Just change the
extension to .snd, and away you go.

>   4) Does anyone have any technical data on the DSP chip?  I'm interested in
>      trying to build my own input device for recording sound.

If you can ftp to eesun1.arl.utexas.edu (129.107.2.51), I think in
public/NeXT/docs you'll find the DSP tech docs you're looking for.

>   Thanks in advance,
>   - Dave
> --
> Dave Hale ddh@orage.mi.org - Can alse accept NeXT mail at this address.
>           ddh@ombrage.mi.org - Regular mail only, please.

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982