[comp.sys.next] Modem dial-up problems

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (03/15/91)

In article <3265@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu (Jim Cain) writes:

>Well, I just got my custom modem cable. It was $17.50 at
>a custom cable builder. This is what I've got happening
>so far:
>
>I have changed /etc/ttys to have a line that reads:
>
>   ttyda "/usr/etc/getty std.1200" dialup on
>
>On port A is connected a Hayes 1200 using the cable
>I had built according to the "NeXT to Modem Cable"
>configuration given on p.187 of the Net & Sys Admin
>Manual (release 2.0).
>
>Now when init starts up the getty process, the receive
>and send lights on the modem come on and stay on. When I
>call the modem, it answers and immediately hangs up.

Your modem is echoing back everything the computer sends it.
So, when you're computer says go, the modem says "OK". The
computer thinks someone is trying to log in. So it says,
"Log In" and your modem says, "ERROR" and your computer says
"Password:" and your modem says, "ERROR" and so on and so on...

>One more problem: when I use cu or tip with /dev/cua,
>it says the line is busy, but according to the manual
>you should be able to use /dev/cua to dial out if
>/dev/ttyda is waiting.

This happens on my machine ever since I upgraded to 2.0.
So far, the fix has been just not to use that port, but
that's the coward's way out.

--
MikeC
Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu (Jim Cain) (03/15/91)

Well, I just got my custom modem cable. It was $17.50 at
a custom cable builder. This is what I've got happening
so far:

I have changed /etc/ttys to have a line that reads:

   ttyda "/usr/etc/getty std.1200" dialup on

On port A is connected a Hayes 1200 using the cable
I had built according to the "NeXT to Modem Cable"
configuration given on p.187 of the Net & Sys Admin
Manual (release 2.0).

Now when init starts up the getty process, the receive
and send lights on the modem come on and stay on. When I
call the modem, it answers and immediately hangs up.

One more problem: when I use cu or tip with /dev/cua,
it says the line is busy, but according to the manual
you should be able to use /dev/cua to dial out if
/dev/ttyda is waiting.

Do I have to change any other configuration files? How
about changing the modem configuration from the default?
This is a modem I borrowed from work, and neither I nor they
have a manual for it, so I don't know how to change its
settings.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone might offer.

Thanks,
Jim

--
=================== Jim Cain * cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu ===================
               The University of North Carolina at Charlotte

js@sidney.Princeton.EDU (Jay Sekora) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar14.204058.14941@wam.umd.edu>, mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>Your modem is echoing back everything the computer sends it.
>So, when you're computer says go, the modem says "OK". The
>computer thinks someone is trying to log in. So it says,
>"Log In" and your modem says, "ERROR" and your computer says
>"Password:" and your modem says, "ERROR" and so on and so on...

Sounds like a klugey way to deal with this would be to create a user
ERROR, whose password is ERROR, and whose shell is something like
/bin/true.  What's the right way?

---j. (js@princeton.edu)

dennis@cpac.washington.edu (Dennis Gentry) (03/19/91)

In article <7283@idunno.Princeton.EDU> js@sidney.Princeton.EDU (Jay Sekora) writes:

   In article <1991Mar14.204058.14941@wam.umd.edu>, mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
   >Your modem is echoing back everything the computer sends it.
   >So, when you're computer says go, the modem says "OK". The
   >computer thinks someone is trying to log in. So it says,
   >"Log In" and your modem says, "ERROR" and your computer says
   >"Password:" and your modem says, "ERROR" and so on and so on...

   Sounds like a klugey way to deal with this would be to create a user
   ERROR, whose password is ERROR, and whose shell is something like
   /bin/true.  What's the right way?

Actually, the modem doesn't typically say "ERROR."  Typically,
the modem echoes everything.  If the computer says "login:" the
modem says "login:" right back, and things deteriorate from
there.  The right way is to turn off echoing and command
typically via the ATE0Q1&W command (E0 means no echo, Q1 means
"Quiet mode on", and the &W writes the settings to NVRAM).  My
advice is to get the NeXT Tech support document on serial port
connectivity for lots more details.  I believe this document is
available via anonymous ftp from the archive servers, or, for
registered developers, direct from NeXT tech support.

Dennis