[comp.sys.next] printing to non-netinfo network printers

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (03/14/91)

I can use lpr to print a postscript file to the printer attached to one
of the Suns.  I can use "nidump printcap ." and see that netinfo knows of
the printer definition.  Likewise, the printer is defined in /etc/printcap.

What I can't do is get any printer to show up in the "Print..." dialog.

I couldn't find this in any online or printed docs.  NS2.0 on an '030 cube.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (03/19/91)

I wrote:
>I can use lpr to print a postscript file to the printer attached to one
>of the Suns.  I can use "nidump printcap ." and see that netinfo knows of
>the printer definition.  Likewise, the printer is defined in /etc/printcap.
>
>What I can't do is get any printer to show up in the "Print..." dialog.

The answer was terribly obvious -- once I knew it.  In the printcap file
and netinfo printcap database, the field "_ignore" specifies that the print
dialog should ignore this printer.  It (apparently) does not affect lpr.

I figured this out by trial and error.  It may be documented, but I couldn't
find it.