[comp.sys.next] PrettyPrint service provider app, anyone?

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (03/15/91)

Here's a project idea for those who are looking
for good NeXT programming projects.

There are numerous pretty print programs (for PS
printers) in command line versions.  But we need
something better which can receive Services request
from other apps like Edit or Terminal, and Librarian.
As you find out, when you print from these apps, they
just print with no page numbering, filename, etc.
(Or am I missing something?)

I would like a PrettyPrint service provider which can:

(1) receive printing service request via other apps'
	"Services" menu.

(2) pretty print either document (file), or selection.

(3) print plain ASCII or RTF.

(4) print filename (pathname), page number, sheet number,
	date last modified, date printed, line # for ASCII.

I would be happy to pay some amount if something
like this comes out as a shareware.

Anybody?

By the way, is there any examples of a service
provider in Demos, or at the archives?
I looked in /NextDeveloper/Examples, but didn't
see any.

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu

shingres@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (shing res acct) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar15.003310.7045@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>By the way, is there any examples of a service
>provider in Demos, or at the archives?
>I looked in /NextDeveloper/Examples, but didn't
>see any.

There is a terrific demo app dealing with services available from NeXT
Tech Support.  It is called "AtYourService" and it comes in source
code form so that you can examine it at your heart's delite.
Apparently some bugs in it kept it from being released as part of
NS2.0.  Maybe it will be part of the RSN NS2.1 release.

By the way, when is the NS2.1 release coming (other than RSN)?

Michael M. Mayer
(mayer@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil)