[comp.sys.next] diacriticals in WriteNow

silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov (SILBAR, RICHARD R.) (03/19/91)

One of the things I've been awaiting (but not anxiously) in
2.0 is the ability to put diacritical (accent) marks on
characters using WriteNow.  So, now being 2.00, I have RightNow
just checked.  Indeed, they are mostly there, especially the
ones I need.

HOWEVER, the overbar (which is <alt-shift-E> according to
Appendix E of the User's Reference) doesn't work for me.
(This is an old cube, upgraded to '040.)  For you?  Also, the
Appendix says "the = and / keys on the keypad do not have
shift options", but it appears that they do: | and \, respectively,
as one might expect.

   Dick Silbar

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (03/20/91)

In article <18348@lanl.gov> silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov writes:
>One of the things I've been awaiting (but not anxiously) in
>2.0 is the ability to put diacritical (accent) marks on
>characters using WriteNow.  So, now being 2.00, I have RightNow
>just checked.  Indeed, they are mostly there, especially the
>ones I need.
>
>HOWEVER, the overbar (which is <alt-shift-E> according to
>Appendix E of the User's Reference) doesn't work for me.
>(This is an old cube, upgraded to '040.)  For you?  Also, the
>Appendix says "the = and / keys on the keypad do not have
>shift options", but it appears that they do: | and \, respectively,
>as one might expect.

  I've contacted Bug_NeXT over the overbar bug many many times. They haven't
been too responsive about getting this fixed. Appended is their
reply when I responded to this "bug" in 2.0-fuschia. Also, I found it
annoying that one couldn't get the apostrophe ' diacritic above consonants
for languages such as Sanskrit. :-(

	- Jiro Nakamura
	jiro@shaman.com

ps. I've updated your e-mail address for Cassandra. I wish you had forwarded
e-mail with vacation. :-( Mail has been bouncing off your old address for
a while.

======= My Bug_next report and reply ============
Why did you remove the vowel extender:

[prprog: Fri Oct 26 16:38:35 1990 ] [Wsrp 4.3]
From: jiro@trumpet.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Jiro Nakamura NeXT Developer)
Why, why, why why why did you remove the vowel extender (alternate-shift-E)
for 2.0? Japanologists, linquists, just about anyone who does humanities work
NEEDS a vowel extender (it's that little line like "-" above vowels that
lengthens their pronounced reading). I definitely don't need a + sign in a
little circle in my writings. Please return the - vowel extender. This is in
WriteNow, btw. The text object correctly has the extender, but won't place
it above the vowel (or next character) sigh.......

REPLY:
When I type alternate-shift-E in both WriteNow and the text object (e.g. the
find panel) I get the raised "-", which is what I think you mean by the
vowel extender.  From what I understand about WriteNow (I am the author) I
believe that we should do the same thing as the text object with one exception:
WriteNow should correctly give you characters out of the symbol font if
those characters are available on the keyboard.

I suspect this may have been a bug in the key mapping.  The key mapping should
be editable for 2.0.  Marked returned.  If you think I missunderstood the bug
please let me know so I can fix it.

John Anderson

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE