[comp.sys.next] .hidden magic

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (03/14/91)

I've stumbled across the /.hidden file.  Where is this documented?  In
particular I would like to make some but not all of the subdirectories
of /usr visible.  Any ideas?

This is in NS2.0.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/15/91)

In article <jwright.668951660@cfht.hawaii.edu> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
   I've stumbled across the /.hidden file.  Where is this documented?

I'm not sure that it is in 2.0.  It was in 1.0, somewhere, I think . . .

   In particular I would like to make some but not all of the
   subdirectories of /usr visible.  Any ideas?

You can have a .hidden file in any directory.  In this file is a list
of "things" in that directory that you want hidden in the Workspace
and Open/Save panels ("things" means files and directories).  Just
a simple flat list, a file per line.

This doesn't affect Expert view, I think.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (03/20/91)

I wrote:
>I've stumbled across the /.hidden file.  Where is this documented?  In
>particular I would like to make some but not all of the subdirectories
>of /usr visible.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the responses.  From NextAnswers, workspace.325:

    The .hidden file controls WHICH files are shown only to UNIX Experts,
    in addition to the dot files.  There can be a .hidden file in any
    directory; each .hidden file only applies to the containing directory.

Sounds good.  And it works exactly that way in the / directory.  But
I can't get it to work in any subdirectory.  If I edit /.hidden, then
go to the File Viewer and press command-u, the viewer updates itself
to reflect the changes.  However no changes to /usr/.hidden seem to
have any effect.

The workspace.325 file says this applies to both 1.0 and 2.0.  I can't
get it to work in 2.0.  I just got 1.0a and haven't tried it there yet.