[net.auto] S/N ratio of this newsgroup.

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (01/01/86)

I've just been paging through this newsgroup, and one thing occurred to me:
I am now thoroughly disinterested in Massachusetts' seat belt law, and could
care less what anyone thinks about it. Further flameage on this topic in this
newsgroup is beating a dead horse.

I'd like to think that net.auto is the `Car and Driver' of Usenet, and
net.auto.tech is the `Hot Rod'/`Car Craft' derivatave. Thus, I'd like to see
these circular discussions of seat belts or the 55 mph speed limit or other
political issues be confined to nut.politics (where I don't have to sift
through them all) and any discussions here of these topics be terse, if
not nonexistent (like the fact that California, too, will have a seatbelt
law come Jan 1.)

Further, I'd like to encourage readers to contribute to this group directly
and *not* as a group in a followup newsgroups list, like net.flame tends to
be. Net.auto is one of my favorite newsgroups (yours too, perhaps) and I'd
hate to see it strangled by offal like the seatbelt flame and counter-flame.

Oh - and happy new year, net.auto-people (and see this article's parent...)

-Neal
--
UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!neal

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (01/07/86)

In article <360@weitek.UUCP> neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) writes:
>I've just been paging through this newsgroup, and one thing occurred to me:
>I am now thoroughly disinterested in Massachusetts' seat belt law, and could
>care less what anyone thinks about it. Further flameage on this topic in this
>newsgroup is beating a dead horse....

Yes, you're right, but there is a simple solution.  Use 'rn' as a newsreader
program.  When you're tired of a discussion, hit "K".  That creates a "KILL"
file and any subject pattern matching this subject will no longer be
read.  That will help you separate the wheat from the chaff & get you
through the news faster.  (BTW:  I Kill'ed the Mass. Seat Belt Law a
long time ago!).
--
Paul Blumstein                                 "I deny this reality!"