[net.auto] Disabling airbags

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/07/86)

In article <493@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>1.  Since these devices will in all likelihood be microprocessor
>controlled, and the cars owned longer than 3 years average, the first
>question is "How many microcomputers have I ever seen go three years and
>never break or need repairs?".

Let's hope that the dedicated microprocessors will be more reliable
than their general-purpose counterparts. After all, our president is
pushing for SDI, which will defend our country using these little
jobbies. Well, enough on that subject. First, it belongs in net.politics;
second, I don't want to think about it.

>2.  Your PC doesn't sit out in the cold and get rained on like your car
>does;  is there any reason for thinking it would break LESS often if it
>did?

Again, we can only hope against hope. Actually, I think the micros used
for spark control and the like have proven to be relatively reliable.
Still, I have this uneasy feeling in my stomach...

>3.  In view of the first two questions, and noting that the average American
>driver isn't terribly good even WITHOUT being pinned into his seat and
>blinded, is there any particular reason to to think he would function
>better or even as well when he was?

Since air bags presumably work only after a straight head-on collision,
the driving ability after they go off may be a moot point. Assuming, of
course, that the airbags don't fire prematurely whenever you hit a
tree limb in the road.

>4.  Aside from accidental problems such as these, is there any reason to
>think that a particularly large, strong, and evil-minded ten-year-old
>(such as I was 30 years ago) couldn't simply run up to cars stopped at a
>light and kick their bumpers, and laugh gleefully at the poor idiots
>trapped inside?

Might be fun to try. Where can I find Elizabeth Dole's car? Actually,
I would hope the things would not be that sensitive.

>5.  I could think of a lot more such questions.  The only one that
>really counts is "How do we stop this kind of crap?".  Or, failing that,
>how do we disable the things?

Crap in Washingtom is unstoppable. So we must address option 2. You
would probably need simply to fire the thing off, either by kicking the
bumper or deliberately running your car (gently, of course) into a
tree. Then, once the bag goes off, take a knife and do a bagectomy.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)