[comp.sys.next] Kermit 5A

paul@cs.utexas.edu (Supoj Sutanthavibul) (03/21/91)

between my next and the remote hosts (file type is set to binary).
On my next, kermit complained anout getting too many NAKs.
The same version of kermit runs on both ends.  If I ran the kermit 4E
on the remote hosts and 5A on my next without changing anything in
.kermrc, the transfer worked.

Is this a bug in kermit 5A(165)?

supoj

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/22/91)

In article <18628@cs.utexas.edu> paul@cs.utexas.edu (Supoj Sutanthavibul) writes:
>On my next, kermit complained anout getting too many NAKs.
>Is this a bug in kermit 5A(165)?

Well, sort of.  The workaround is to use the command "set parity space"
to force 7-bit transfers.  This will allow you to transfer binary files.
It is not the optimal solution though, since that is slower than real
8-bit transfers.  I have encountered this myself, and I'm looking into
why 8-bit transfers aren't working.  If I come up with a fix, I'll post
it, and ftp a new binary to cs.orst.edu, as well as send it to the
kermit folk.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu